Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unwanted bass noise........

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Guss, Jul 9, 2004.

1. I was playing today and noticed that when i strike one string, it usually makes the others go off. The sound is somewhat similar to a harmonic strike. For example I was playing down near an octave G and it was making my E and A strings ring. So now I cry.

2. Mute the strings you're not playing.

3. Try to place your thumb on the strings just on the one you are playing.
    You won't feel comfortable at first, but after, your unwanted noises will surely disappear....

Vince

4. This more a technique issue than it is a bass problem. You'll get better results and advice if you go to the Technique Forum and read about muting techniques!

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. Crypton

Crypton

Jul 13, 2004
    If you (as indicated in a previouse post) use your thumb to mute the string above the one your playing.
    Your should also you your thumb to mute the other string. This might also feel uncomfortable at first, but later, your unwanted noises will surely disappear....:)

[​IMG]

6. It's sympathetic ringing. Notes of the same frequency or octave ring out if there's another ringing out near it. It's all down to muting the right strings... or using a scrunchy on you first fret