Unwanted buzzzz, need advice

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by FatSamy, May 20, 2020.

1. FatSamy

FatSamy

Apr 29, 2020
    Getting straight to it, I have a Fender AM Professional 5 string P bass and I love it BUT there are three frets, yes just 3 that enoy the hell out of me.
    The frets are the 2'nd to the 4'th on the G string ( A, Bb, B ) that buzz, not in a nice way with roundwound strings.
    I have gotten good enough to set up my basses but this, I can't get right.
    So far I have tryed three diferent sets of roundwound strings and a few combinations of thrus rod and bridge adjustments and the only setup without compromise and no buzz results in a high string action that is not very nice.
    I took it to the shop I bought the bass from where they have a luthier and the man made the buzz go away by twisting the hex to give me a higher string action than I managed to get myself with no buzz.
    To sum this up, the work I have done so far results in either no buzz on those 3 frets but nasty sounding upper octave frets on all strings, or evrythi g good but a higher string action than I am comfortable with.
    Right now the bass has flats, and it's just perfect but I would like to change to roundwounds for gigs that require that sound.
    Hope this makes sense.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  2. RoketRdr

RoketRdr

Nov 7, 2019
    Houston
    You need to get a fret job done.

3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Yep, sounds like a level and polish job. If it was one or two frets, you might be able to spot level it, but it sounds like it's worse than that. One thing you can check, can you get even a fingernail or xacto blade edge under any part of the three frets that buzz? They might be loose, in which case a couple gentle whacks with a plastic faced hammer might solve it but....probably not.

FatSamy likes this.
  4. I’ll agree that it sounds like a high and / or loose fret. Check the three that buzz but I’d also check just above the noise as well. If 2-4 buzz it could be the 5th fret that’s high or loose.

RSBBass and FatSamy like this.
  5. FatSamy

FatSamy

Apr 29, 2020
    I never thought about hammering my bass.
    No fret was viewable loose or higher but...there was a bit more dust arownd one of them than the others...hmmm...
    Yes!
    It worked!
    I the buzz ia not gone but it is at a level I can accept and doesn't translate into the sound as undesirable.
    I am extremely gratefull, thank you very much.

6. If pushing a fret in solved or partially solved the problem it may pop up again. You will probably end up having to clamp it down and wick some thin CA glue under the tang. There’s a number of YouTube videos on how to do it. Just be careful with the glue. CA that’s thin enough to wick under the fret will also instantly get all over the neck.

RSBBass and Gilmourisgod like this.
  7. FatSamy

FatSamy

Apr 29, 2020
    Sounds good.
    I will of course realise if or when the bad buzz comes back.

8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    @Matt Liebenau is right, if they popped up once, it will probably happen again eventually. One trick I saw for the CA glue is to wipe some paste wax (nothing with silicone!) on the fingerboard, not slathering it on, and wipe parallel to the frets so you don't get wax in the slots or under frets, and wick in a TINY amount of CA glue. The wax will keep it from making a mess of the board if you wipe it off right away. Stewmac has some tiny little CA glue "whip tips" you can use for this.
    Whip Tips | stewmac.com