Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unwanted Distortion??? (SVT-3 and FX770)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ceycey, May 10, 2005.

1. ceycey

ceycey

Dec 22, 2004
    Turkey
    Hello,
    I'm using Ampeg SVT-3 Pro and Yamaha FX770 Multi-Effect in it's effect loop. I'm getting some kind of distortion when i turn the volume up to half and more. It continues even if i bypass the FX770. When i unplug it the distortion stops. I check all the level settings on the units but there is nothing seen to cause this kind of distortion. What can i do to stop it? If i change the FX770 with another effects unit like TC. M-One XL, Boss VF-1 or Midiverb 4 can i have the same problem again?

2. Try lowering the pregain on the SVT 3, maybe thats too much for the pedal? i dunno really :s

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Most pedal's can't handle line level inputs, I have no idea what effects unit your using but can only guess that its probably overdriving something, either the multi effect's is being overdriven if so do what was mentioned above, or quite possible the multi fx is overdriving the amp, try turning the multi fx down in this case.

Or its a pedal multi fx and shouldn't really be run in the effects loop.

and then the usuals, bad cables, iffy power supply time space wormhole distortion :D

Hope this helps

4. ceycey

ceycey

Dec 22, 2004
    Turkey
    It's a rack-mount multi-effects unit from 1990's. I tried lovering down everything both on amp and the unit but can't solve the problem. I'm just using the reverb of the unit with a very short reverb time and nothing more. I haven't seen such kind of thing before. That's very stupid. I'll sell it this week if i can't find a solution.

5. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    How do you set your gain and master levels on the SVT-3 Pro?

Try setting master full on and use gain for volume control. This is Ampeg's suggested setting for this amp. I've found that I get a cleaner tone with or without and effects this way.

I have a Sonic Maximizer in the effects loop and when I run the gain at a higher level than the master, I get bad distortion. Almost like hitting the string against a pickup pole at high volume, only dirtier. :meh: I've had zero problems since using settings as suggested by Ampeg. :D

6. ceycey

ceycey

Dec 22, 2004
    Turkey
    Robman thanks. It helped a lot. I was using them at the same levels. Now I get cleaner effects.

By the way today i get an Aphex Aural Exciter 104 C2/Big Bottom but i don't like it much. It seems to work like an eq. Only give a bigger bottom-end but nothing more. Are you happy with your Sonic Maximizer? How does it change your sound?

7. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    The Sonic Maximizer is nice. I couldn't really tell at home at lower volume levels. But the first time I gigged with it - MAN!!
    What a difference. I noticed a huge difference in my lows. Not as much in my mids and highs. I feel thats an EQ thing that is probably going to be a work-in-progress with me. :rolleyes:

I think the difference between the SM and the Aphex is the SM processes the signal and the Aphex compresses and brings everything together before sending the signal to the speaker. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong :confused: )

I'm glad it worked out for you CeyCey.