1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Unwanted noise and the ABG

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by YosemiteSam, Apr 23, 2015.

1. YosemiteSam

YosemiteSam

Jun 8, 2005
    Chatham, MA
    I have a cheapo Samick ABG that I got specifically for lazing out on the couch and plunking. Recently I was asked to sit in for a gig with an acoustic act, and they'd like me to use my ABG to build up the overall acoustic "look" of the band. We will be amplified for the gig.

My ABG has piezo and mic pickups built in, but the mic is pretty useless due to feedback. I've found that every little sound comes through the piezo: clicks, pops, string noise, screeches, even a slide down the neck produces a "clunk, clunk, clunk" as you pass over each fret. The piezo picks up everything. It has phosphor/bronze strings on it now, and I tried steel flats, only to find that they produced more fret rattle when amplified.

Any suggestions for eliminating the noise? I've already fiddled with EQ and have tamed it a bit, but I'd like to eliminate it. Will a bridge mute help? Or should I just bite the bullet and use one of my much nicer solidbody electrics? Or not worry about it, and realize no one is paying that close attention to me? :)

2. neuman

neuman

Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO 'burbs
    I have a Brownsville ABG, pretty much same deal. By dumb-luck a friend has a Dean Markley Acoustic Hole pick-up. I tried it and am able to play feedback free. oh yeah, I use tapewounds, don't really know if that matters.

Might be worth a shot.