Unwanted noise on my new Trace Elliot 122H 300W

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spikeh, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

OK - so I've got the amp that'll last me for a good while... but I have 2 questions about it (bear in mind that it's second hand). The guy who sold it to me warned me about the issues I'm about the mention, so that's not a problem... I just wondered if anyone could shed any light on them.

When I first turn the amp on, for the first 5 mins or so (while it's warming up I presume) it crackles... like someone's fiddling with some internal wiring. After 5 mins, it goes entirely and never reoccurrs until I turn it off and it cools down. Anyone got any idea what this could be? The guy said he took it back to the shop a few times, but they couldn't pin-point it.

Secondly, whenever I play a note, hit the strings or catch them, regardless of the EQ settings or any options that are set up, the amp seems to "wake up"... what I mean, is that it plays the note, but there's 'noise' in the back ground... once the pickups stop transmitting the noise, it dies down again. I thought it might be the valve, but I turned it off and it still happens! Any ideas?

Although I can live with these issues, I'd be greatful for any feedback, thanks in advance!
  2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I would get in touch with the guys at British Audio Service. and see what they think it might be.

To me, for someone reason I'm thinking input jack. Try the other input and see what happens. Are you running an active or passive bass? If it's active, do a battery swap just to make sure thats not it.
  3. yea, input jacks usually make the cracking
  4. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    My old Trace had a noise gate, does yours have a switch like that? When it works it sounds kinda like that.
  5. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Thanks - I'll give them a try!

I've tried both the jacks, and tried it without the bass even plugged in, the initial cracking happens regardless, and the 'wake up' happens in both jacks... I'm playing a Fender Jazz Deluxe Active 4 string through it... and I actually decided a while ago to change the battery - haven't got round to it yet cos I've been away a lot! I'll be trying my old Westfield when I've finished my de-fret.

Yeah - I've got the noise reduction switch on - it makes some difference, but it's still there I'm afraid :(
  6. Another more local comapny to try is

they might be able to help!

Other tips have already beem provided.......so I won't re-iterate!
  7. Gavin at GM Audio is cool, I bought my V4 from him and picked his brain on many technical aspects of Trace Elliot stuff...

Im presuming the pre-amp is the same as the SMX with a few extras, the last version of the 12 band as we knew it? If so does it have two FX loops? One series, one parallel... On the series loop if one of the sockets is damaged then strange noises and low output will occur as the entire bass signal runs through the loop. It requires the sockets to 'close' to complete the circuit. I played a similar game with my V-Type 4808 combo last year...

Just a suggestion but test the theory by plugging a mono jack-jack in the loop so its essentially closed and see if the noise continues... If it doesn't, simply replace the sockets or leave a wire in the loop...
  8. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Thanks VtypeV4 - I'll give that a go... the FXLoop is series / parallel switching afaik - there's a diagram on page 12 of http://www.gibson.com/products/traceelliot/manuals/12band.pdf. I do have an effects unit plugged into it at the moment though, and it still happens...

And sorry for my ignorance - but a mono jack-jack? Is that the same as a jack-jack bass lead? I would have thought they're stereo?

Another thing I've noticed recently is that it stops making ANY noise whatsoever when I turn the mute/tune up mode on... I know that every switch on the face is wired in parallel, so it cuts itself out whenever it's turned off, but I just wondered if that could shed any light on it...