1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Unwanted string resonance-What can do about this?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Jan 25, 2012.

1. I have a strange problem on my Atelier Z 5 sting.When I play a note on the A string 4th fret C#, the section between my fretting finger and the nut rings in a high pitch and it's audible and I can't mute it because it occurs below my fretting finger. The other strings do it as well but not to the same extent.
    So in other words my strings vibrate freely from my fretting finger backwards to the nut.
    I have relief in the neck but not a whole lot.enough for a business card below the 7th fret maybe. Action is pretty low but not ridiculous and the bridge is set to follow the radius of the neck.
    But that I guess doesn't matter because the problem happens below my fretting finger.
    So when I press down on the fret, that action alone triggers the higher unwanted pitch.
    I was thinking It could be that the nut is not slotted deep enough but it looks fine to me.Probably 2 credit cards thick from the wood to the bottom of the string.First fret to bottom of the string is about one credit card. I'm not sure if strings should lie flat and touch the frets from the fretting finger back to the nut or if the clearance i have is normal.
    What do you guys think, Any ideas?:confused:

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Your instincts are probably correct about the nut slot being too deep on the A string. To test this, hold down the 3rd fret and measure the gap between the string and the 1st fret. You should be able to slide a piece of paper in the gap, which means the clearance is .003-.005". If the string is touching the first fret than the slot is too deep.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    ah, the mysterious, unpredictable "back-buzz".

you might indeed have to raise the nut a pinch, and/or relax the truss rod a bit.

4. Actually it's not back buzz it's a ringing of the string from my fretting finger back to the nut., so I was more thinking I might have to lower the nut. Am' I right about that?

5. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    No. There should be a bit of clearance between the string and the frets on the nut side of the fretted note. If you lower the nut enough that the string won't resonate between the nut and the fretted note, it will buzz on the first fret when the string is played open.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that's what back-buzz is, the length of string between the nut and your fretting hand making noise.

7. Is it coming through the pickups/amp or is it just something you hear when playing unplugged? If it's the later, I wouldn't worry about it.

8. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Something similar is happening on my SR5. Exclusively on the B,E and A, and notes fingered between the 7th and 10th frets, I am getting high pitched overtones which are audible through the amp. :help:

9. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    How many wraps do you have on the tuning peg post? Shoot for 3 and make sure the string comes off the bottom of the post. That is usually the culprit.