unwelcome buzzing!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Furious George, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Furious George

Furious George

Aug 30, 2002
    I own a Fender MIA Jazz that I've had for about nine months, and it has played like a dream so far. But recently it has been making a buzzing sound when I play an open E or A on the first two strings.
    The source of the buzz is somewhere near the headstock. If I put a finger over the string right near where it is wound up, then the buzz is muted. But despite knowing the location of the buzz, I have no idea how it got like this, and more importantly, how to get rid of it. It doesn't seem to get picked up through my amp so it isn't an enormous/immediate concern, but it is a new noise that doesn't sound very healthy for my bass. So if anyone has any guesses/advice/etc as to what this is or what I could do about it, I would really appreciate it a lot.
    Thanks guys!
  2. camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    Truss rod adjustment needed? I'm no luthier but it sounds like a setup is needed.

3. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    How many wraps do you have on the tuning posts?

Try using three wraps of the string around the post, and go from top to bottom, so that the angle of the string to the nut is increased (and don't overlap) If the string comes towards the nut to straight, you will get this rattling sound. Probably happens more with your A than E string.

Try measureing two pinky lengths past the post before you cut off the excess string. That will be about three string wraps.

In otherwords, you shouldn't just use the entire string and wrap it around 5-6 times.

4. fenderboy

Jun 21, 2002
    It could possibly the the truss rod or it could be your tuning key check what kind it is if it needs a screwdriver just tightnen all of them but i hear some are differnt and need a alan wrench but one of those is proably the problem.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

pd is on the right track, this is a common problem with Fender style basses, especially with the A string. Due to the design of the headstock, there is not enough of a break angle over the nut for the A string to seat properly. By winding the string with each successive wrap below the last, you force the string downwards, thus increasing the break angle.
  6. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    PD is correct. This typically isn't a problem on the G and D string because you have a "string tree" pulling them down sufficiently. You could also install the string bar across all strings (Sadowsky, Lakland...). This would assure that the proper angle is achieved. But you still should install the strings in the manner that PD described. Keep in mind however that a bass with GB7 type tuners (verses the larger Fender style) will require less string length due to the smaller diameter of the tuner shaft (three wraps = shorter distance). Also a good archieve addressing installation of bass strings is on the Bass Player Magazine site.