Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unwound B-string....

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Phoenix21, Aug 31, 2001.

1. After getting home from school, I pick up my Squier Standard P-Bass (Special 5 5-string)....and suddenly, while jamming, the damn B-string begins to unwind at the bridge!! Well, I took it off...and I need to replace it (playing only 4-strings on a 5-string neck is kinda weird). Can anyone tell me a good replacement string set for a Squier 5-string P-bass?? :confused: Thanks....

Edit: By the way, can anyone tell me why a string would just unwind like that at the bridge? Was it too tight? Too loose? I'd like to make sure it does not happen again....

2. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    well none of my strings have actually snapped but when I say I snapped a string i mean they unravel, but that only ever happens to my E, but then I haven't had my new snazzy B for that long.....

3. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    A string should not unravel from the bridge - occasionally if you have strung it incorrectly, it may unravel at the headstock from the tuner, but it should not unravel from the bridge. Like Fishbrain said, you probably broke the string. If this is so, then this may have been caused by a number of factors:

1) Improper playing technique - plucking the strings too vigorously
    2) String is tuned too tightly - either the string is too short, the wrong gauge, or just tuned too high
    3) There is a problem with the bridge setup causing part of the bridge to rub on the string, making it prone to breaking
    4) The string was installed incorrectly

These are the reasons I can think of. There may be more, and others may be able to suggest some strings for you too. Me, I use a 1.30 D'Addarios RoundWound for my B string.

4. Well, see, I bought the bass about a year ago and haven't made any modifications to it, except for tightening the pickups.
    1) The only string I pluck "vigorously" is my G. However, I often times slap the B pretty crazy-like, but only enough to get an deep, dark, angry tone. And I hardly use a pick.
    2) Unless Squier are cheap bastards and they use bad strings on their P-Basses, it would have to be "tuned too high." But the highest I ever tuned my B was to E when I had first bought the bass.
    3) I doubt it was loose enough to rub on the bridge. Just getting the part of the bridge it was connected to unscrewed was a pain in the ass.
    4) Well damn Squier if it was badly installed.

Thanks, you've been helpful, Bass Guitar.

5. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    If there is any kind of burr in the saddle, an old string works great as a file.

6. Well, see, I bought the bass about a year ago and haven't made any modifications to it, except for tightening the pickups.
    1) The only string I pluck "vigorously" is my G. However, I often times slap the B pretty crazy-like, but only enough to get an deep, dark, angry tone. And I hardly use a pick.
    2) Unless Squier are cheap bastards and they use bad strings on their P-Basses, it would have to be "tuned too high." But the highest I ever tuned my B was to E when I had first bought the bass.
    3) I doubt it was loose enough to rub on the bridge. Just getting the part of the bridge it was connected to unscrewed was a pain in the ass.
    4) Well damn Squier if it was badly installed.

This sounds like he has had the same strings on since he bought the bass. I could then understanding a B string breaking

7. Exactly.
    I've already bought a D'Addario 5-string replacement set, so I now have a fifth string and back-ups for the other four. I'll also be being SR 2000s, which are taperwounds. I've never played with tapers before, so this might be interesting.
    Thanks everyone for your help in my desperate time of need :p