Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

unwritten rules of the road

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Aug 21, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    All you drivers are probably familiar with the laws in relation to the road, and maybe even the vehicle code. But what about the unwritten rules? I can offer two for consideration: one is, "Stay out of peoples' way". That seems to be just common sense. Then there's "never slow down unless there's no other choice", which seems to be a de-facto law that many drivers live by. What other unwritten rules of the road can you think of, and how do they apply?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, here's a line, and on this side of it, we ain't gettin'! :D

3. There are 2 kinds of pedestreians.

Fast and Dead.

4. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    It all depends on what country you are driving in. In France, there is only one rule: you are not allowed to have a car in front of you. Most French drivers abide by this law by tailgating you for 10 miles and then passing.

In Quebec, the right lane is for passing and the left lane is for making illegal left turns.

5. There is no reason to go under the speedlimit on a blue-sky day with no rain or snow on the ground, nobody in front of you, nobody coming the other way, and a line of traffic a mile long behind you.

6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I can think of a few:

1. At a four-way stop, the most expensive car does not have the right-of-way

2. Don't get angry at people who honk(or gesture) at you because you are yacking on your cell phone and not paying attention to where you are going (California drivers take note of this)

3. Reading/putting on makeup/checking email while driving is insanity beyond comprehension

4. Don't speed up when people are trying to get around you

5. If your car smokes, sheds parts, or is incapable of going faster than 50 mph, stay out of the left-hand lane!

6. Driving 55 mph in a Porsche/BMW/Mercedes or other performance vehicle on the freeway is a sign of mental infirmity. Immediately go buy a Camary

7. If you have the option of parking next to my truck or somewhere else, choose somewhere else!

8. Get the heck out of my way!

7. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    1. Don't ride my a$$, it's only going to make me want to go slower and piss you off even more.

2. Pick a lane and stay it in. What's with all these people on the highway always swerving from lane to lane? It's not hard to stay in between the lines, trust me.

3. If your too old to drive like the rest of us, please get off the road.

4. Don't pull out in front of people and then drive slower then they were already going. You won't make many friends.

5. Learn to get over to the correct lanes when you get warned about upcomming construction 10 miles before. Don't wait until your lane is about to close before you realize you have to get over. This is why you get so many traffic james in construction zones. I don't know why it's so hard to get over to the open lanes when they first tell you.

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    "Don't be so suburban, it's a new millenium. There aren't any lines anymore." :D

"It's easy to say you live by the book, but actually doing it is harder. Can you do it?" :D

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I would post a few George Carlin rules of the road, but that might infringe upon the rules. Let's just say that one of the rules will make your face look like this: :eek:

10. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I agree, having an expensive european automobile does not entitle special privliges on the road.

Like hanging out at a stop light for as long as you like while talking on the cell phone.

Driving as slow as you like, because your talking on the cell phone.

Parking your car in the parking lot and taking up two spots because you don't want your precicious car to get a scratch.
    Don't drive it then, park in your garage and just admire it.

11. hehehehehehehe

" All the hitchers do it, its the first rule in the book . " book , what book" ", The unwritten book of the road, I mean, if it will get a couple hundred miles to where im goin, sure ill go down on somebody"

my addition to the rules of the road, never stick your upper torso outta your window to converse with someone in the next car. Ive actually seen an idiot do this.........on the INTERSTATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I work on campus. I shout so many things in colorful language, I think I would take up the rest of the space on TB's webserver just to wrtie them down!

About every rule a person can break, they do.

What I hate seeing is one little woman in an Excursion. Or a big chevy. Or anything with a big diesel. I mean, unless you are hauling cars, horses, or tons of people, you don't need it. Especially when you can't figure out where the GAS PEDAL IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I know why i have slightly high blood pressure at the ripe age of 20.

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You are not a cop, get the (sounds like puck) out of the left lane and let me pass.

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Never, ever use your indicators! It gives away your next move.

15. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    • Anyone who hasn't realised that they are driving with their hazard lights on probably *should* be driving with their hazard lights on.
    • A taxi behind you wants to do 10mph more than you whereas a taxi in front of you wants to do 10mph less than you.

16. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    -If I'm yelling at you, you deserve it.

-Let the kids in the tricked out Suprema go in front of you, having cars in front of them threatens their feeling of coolness. Wait for them to get pulled over, or run into a lightpole. Then you'll have the whole road to yourself.

17. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    This is kind of weird but... in Russia I hear in Aussie and Europe as well, there is rule that I use a lot... if I see a cop I let people know about it around you.
    Say I pass a cop and I see some guy going in direction of the cop, in opposite direction to me. I let him know... usually its short high beam and everyone does it...

United States people seem to get offended and PISSED... this goes same for no light at night, you try to let them know and they get pissed... I had a guy follow me because I turned off and on my light at him letting him know that his lights are off... I had to pull over...

It only makes sense… every other place I’ve been to seem to know those rules except people here. I don’t understand it… and I mean NO ONE HERE gets it… I am trying to save you ticket and they try to chaise me off the road. Its weird, I can’t understand it.

In case you see something wrong with car you beaming its multiple beam... when the car pissed you off... u hunk/high beam... Plus people usually know if they did something wrong, and if not maybe there is something going on the road. It seems very simple and it works every place I’ve been to except here:/ I don’t get it

Maybe other states have that rule? No?

Cheers

18. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Oh god yes!

19. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep. If I see people giving short High-beam blasts, it usually means there's a police car up ahead. It is however VERY illegal. If a cop sees you giving such warning, they'll issue a hefty infringment.

I've discoverered another great way of avoiding speeding fines. I don't speed any more. And amazingly, 1/2 hour trips still take 1/2 hour..............

20. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    On what basis?

And yes it’s not much time different unless you going long distance... but it’s just more fun to go fast :) I fall asleep when I go slow... of course I don’t speed that much, never over 100mph :D

Also i don't mean driving recklessly... or insane fast... I am talking about going 75 on 65... i had a friend getting a ticket going 70 on 65... That’s just wrong... I will never feel bad for reckless drivers though

Cheers