Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Uoton Hawkes Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Dad Bass, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Dad Bass

Dad Bass

Jun 22, 2005
    New Jersey, USA
    I am interested in the sublect bass. According to my research here and eslewhere the price, 5 year service, etc id tough to beat.

Does anyone own one of these beasties and what is your review of the instrument VS other laminates in the price range.

I am a 50 something bass playyer, electric to this point, but looking at my first upright.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Pete

2. Dad Bass

Dad Bass

Jun 22, 2005
    New Jersey, USA
    Ok lets try again, now that I had coffee.

I am considering purchasing this bass based on the price, the setup,the 5yr guarantee etc. I'd like to hear from owners of this bass for their review.

Are the shoulders ans issue? Whows the sound? If you could change anything about thiis Purchase what would it be? Did you pick it up live or have it sent? I s there anything you'd like to add?

Thanks, Pete

3. philly

philly

Nov 20, 2004
    nyc
    I have the Upton laminate bass with the smaller top bout....it's essentially the exact same bass as the Hawkes, with aforementioned upper bout size difference. I think its a great bass for the money...very playable -which for people like us - a little older, first upright etc, - is very important. Nice fingerboard, great setup, nice looking, and has a very nice tone for something in the price range...I think its a pretty good choice. Also the sevice plan really is great. You should, however, play one a couple of times because everyones taste is different. Overall I'm very happy with the bass, my only possible regret being that I didnt spend another grand to get the hybrid model. But if that money is an issue I would say
    you cant go wrong with the laminate.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have the Hawkes and I love it. It's a LOT louder and deeper than the other laminates I've played, and they say that it's because of the larger upper bout, which I'd have to agree with because it really hits you at chest level when you play it. I'm not an especially large guy, but the shoulders have never been an issue to me.

I had mine shipped. It came through freight in a giant cardboard box specially built for DB's. You don't have to worry about that baby getting damaged. While you're at it, get one of their Revolution Solo pickups. It's by far the best pickup I've ever tried. Very low profile, and no preamp needed. Sounds just like the bass, only louder.

Gary and the gang at Upton are swell folks who really care, too. They've been excellent with after-sale care. For an inexpensive bass (well, $1500 really is inexpensive for a bass), I doubt that you can do much better.

5. philly

philly

Nov 20, 2004
    nyc
    i think jimmy is right on about the hawkes. I will say that I played them both (both upton laminates side by side and there really wasnt all that much difference soundwise between them, maybe as jimmy said a little more chest level vibration, but the hawkes wasnt really significantly louder than the smaller bass (again, only the top bout is smaller). So if the size seems like a problem.. you dont give up much with the smaller bass. Just my 2 cents.