Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Up and Coming? Players to Watch Out For

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by basstastic, Mar 5, 2002.

1. I was reading the feature in Bass Player on my hero, Dirk Lance, and it said they had named him a bass player to watch. Well, I was wondering if there are any bassists you have come accross who are not yet esablished, or who's band have only just released (past 12months) their album, who you think are "players to watch"?

any ideas?

sim

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Justin Medal Johnson (Beck, Fantastic Plastic Machine, etc.)

Fima Ephron (Me'Shell Ndegeocello, Action Figure Party, etc.)

Chris Chew (North Mississippi All-Stars)

Arne Livingston (Living Daylights)

All great groove players. Maybe not "up and coming," but certainly "talent deserving wider recognition."

3. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Justin has been around for quite a while.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Hence the TDWR qualification.

5. Ray riendiau is not one of the most named but it seems to be very good.

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Eric Langlois, Alex Webster and Steve DiGiorgio all deserve more recognition than they get.

7. Er, perhaps which she be mentioning if these are solo artists or what bands they are in!?

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ryan Martinie- of Mudvayne "fame" The guy has a great set of chops despite being in a rock band. Apprently he is a big jazz fusion guy on the side, and spends a lot of time doing session work.

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    brendan-i think a lot of people know about ryknow's talent. i've heard a lot about how good he is...but i'm yet to hear a mudvayne song (don't plan to, either!;) )

my word is for paul hinklin of SadHappy, one of my favorate bands. how many other bassists can hold their own with Michael Manring (although i like their non-manring cds better).

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    that's pretty funny; i guess that's why he wears makeup and uses a funny alias. no one will recognize him when he's backing joe sample on BET jazz.

11. Pea-NUT

Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    Yea. Dr. Mike, Dirk Lance is my hero/idol. His style..his tone, his basslines. I like the bassist for Thursday. Hes solid...makes cool lines..and rocks out. Plus..i havent seen many bassist in the type of music he plays use a tone like his. Hes unique

Thats my $0.02

12. Hmmm, judging a band before you hear them play a single note... :rolleyes:

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Interesting choice, considering he's an established player in a band who's been around for what, 10 years? And they last released a cd what...a couple years ago?

I bet Tye Zamora would be put on the list if it was under the same criteria as the original article. I think they came out two years ago, but close enough. Good tone, cool playing, and just a generally good bass player. Not going to set the world on fire, but he's good, and it'd be interesting to see what else he can do.

Ryknow already mentioned.

I had two other people in mind a minute ago, but unfortunately...train has left the station.

14. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    I heart Dirk Lance!

I've heard Thursday and honestly, I'm not impressed. Not to mention I hate that kind of "music." Just my opinion though.

15. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    I forgot to answer the question...

As for up and coming...the guy from Alien Ant Farm is pretty good. The band is ok, but I think he has a cool style.

16. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    yeah, ryknow does have some good work

17. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I thought Riendiau was with some metal band, like Biohazard or something? Or am I thinking totally wrong guy here? I recall that Riendiau has been Fender endorser for a while tho.

18. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Charles Mingus :rolleyes: