1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Up grading My Geddy Lee...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by k5koy, Apr 30, 2010.

1. k5koy

k5koy

Oct 27, 2008
    Dallas, Tx.
    Ok, from what I have gathered on this board, I have decided upon the following upgrades. New Jazz Pups, Seymour D's SJB3 Quarter Pounders or the Dimarzzio J's have been suggested, so far Im leaning toward the Duncans.
    Another suggestion was an Audere JZB-3 preamp and the J-retro preamp. J-retro is $300 and the Audere a mere $150. Is the Audere only half as good?

Koy-West Texas

2. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I've had both and GREATLY prefer the Audere. I mostly use the Z modes and not the eq. Mid Z sounds just slightly more lively than passive, I kick in high Z for extra spank and low Z for a boost in the lows. Never been so happy with a preamp.

3. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    I had a J-retro in a Geddy and although it was punchy and versatile, I found it to be a bit sterile, IMHO.

4. JonPol

JonPol

May 19, 2009
    San Diego
    I've had great experiences with the audere as well. I also briefly put a set of qps in a jazz bass and was very unhappy with how bland and midscooped they were. A lot of people around here like the dimarzios though.

5. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    Depalm put the differences in writing so well in an another thread that I decided to quote him for you. I couldn't agree with him more. Some of the specs he states about the retro are differend in mine though. My bass knob isn't 50hz only, it's variable frequency, getting deeper the more bass is dialed in.

Personally I really prefer the retro series, especially the 4 knob version with passive tone control. The audere is really good, very transparent and so on, but it just did nothing for me and I soon found that I always let it flat because that's the way it sounded almost exactly like a passive bass. And that definately can be a good thing, but I simply saw no point in having that in a bass so I sold it and never missed it. A good eq pedal more useful IMO, and it goes from a to b with a flick of a switch. I leave the retro usually flat too and just operate the passive tone control to cut highs, but the adjustable mid freq is really nice when I wan't to make subtle changes between barking, honky J and fat and warm. For me the added thickness is really the greatest thing about the retro.

I'm not trying to mock the audere, it's great at what it does. I'm mostly into passive basses, so the only reason for me to go active is if I feel the pre really brings something new to the table, thus I choose the retro.

And If I wanted something more transparent than the retro, I'd go with an aguilar.