up in smoke?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cobrasneverdie, Dec 12, 2004.

1. well, ive heard that smoking in the same room as your amps are in or playing in a smoky club can be bad for your amps. is this true? if it is, what all does it harm? all my equipment is solid state if that helps. thanks.
  2. please. . . .

aggressive non-smokers are the real problem.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    :ninja: i hear smoking can be harmful to your lungs too :bag:
  4. and ciggerette smoke isnt the only kind of smoke my equipment is exposed to if that helps at all.

5. this makes me think your amp is gonna startlevitating like in half baked
  6. as long as it doesnt stop levitating and smash through my floor, then its ok with me.
  7. you figure the engineers would design these things to tolerate the impurities. Now in coastal areas and outdoor gigs near the ocean, salt air/ sea spray is a real killer. Smoke, not a prob.

I am sure the techs will say that there are all kinds of corrosive things, but if you are going to limit your public playing to smoke free environments, you better learn church music.

8. yeah, i smoke in my room and was just wondering if it was bad for my equipment.
  9. I doubt the impurities from the nicotine smoke--or other smoke :D --would be enough to corrode anything, though I suppose anything's possible...

Far more damaging is the normal buildup of dust...ever look around the cooling fan on the back of your computer, or inside after a couple of years of use?? Yuck!! This dust acts like insulation and prevents heat dissipation. Heat is the enemy of electronics, so clean your amp's cooling fan grill periodically. Make sure heat sinks don't get covered with dust.
  10. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Or move to one of the many, ever growing list of states that are forward thinking enough to ban smoking in bars. Not that it's ones with major entertainment scenes...except New York and Californnia.
  11. What you do on your own time is your business, but if you want the unvarnished truth, cigarette smoke or ANY kind of smoke is VERY bad for electronics. You're vapor-depositing another layer of insulation (nicotine, tar and all the good junk that coats your lungs coats electronics even better) on the board and components which is going to make any kind of electronics run hotter. The electric charge of gear acts like a magnet for smoke, dust and a whole host of other goodies just waiting to wreck your amp. The formaldehyde in cigarettes is also VERY corrosive to electrolytic capacitors. There are also carbon particles in smoke, which make new conductive pathways on circuit boards. Dust is more prevalent, but smoke is worse. It won't kill your amp outright unless you keep your gear next to a tire fire for a few hours, but it may end up being a contributing factor to a future failure. Every major electronics manufacuring firm and any type of business that employs extensive use of electronics ban smoking for that very reason.
  12. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Yep. Isn't guaranteed instant death, but it is a problem.

Plus, if you have ever worked on an amp that has been around smokers and dust for a while, it gets the grossest sort of greenish grunge festooned around the insides. Nasty to work on, "poisons" solder joints, corrodes contacts, messes up jacks, just bad all around.
  13. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Ugghhh! Thanks, I have one on the bench right now. :meh: There's a good reason that pro audio for-sale ads specify from non smoking studio as a major selling point. The biggest problem I've observed as a tech is mung in sliders, non sealed switches and control pots. Engineering for the problem fully is typically prohibitively expensive for consumer gear, unfortunately.
  14. hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    or you could move over here to ireland, nearly smoke free for one year. Woohooo go team yeah :D

im sorry. actually, dont move to ireland, bad idea, everyhting is really expensive. :( :scowl:
  15. I told my Son he should quit smoking....
    He replied..."Pop, nobody likes a quitter."
  16. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Here in California as well since smoking is prohibited in public buildings.
  17. THAT kinda smoke is good for your amp ;) trust me.
  18. hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    yeah it makes it play those wonderful tones that you just couldnt do in normal circumstances.

19. so true, but would putting a blanket or some kind of towel over my equipment help at all?
  20. You're concerned about the long term effects of smoke on your amp..............................................What about yourself?