Up on your "Warwick" history?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gottawalk, Aug 9, 2005.

1. I'm curious. I recently purchased a Warwick Fortress 1 4-string fretless, and love it! (Getting GAS for a Warwick 5-string, now!) Question: I've been looking at all the 'wicks offered by the company, and the names are pretty interesting. I can understand cool names like "Corvette", "Streamer", "Buzzard" (I really like that one), etc., but does anyone know where they got the name "Thumb"??? Does it actually refer to it's style and use or just a name to use?
  2. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    I think it's about the shape of the horn.
  3. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I don't know for certain, but I always thought it was "Thumb" because the bass is especially designed for aggressive slap playing which uses the thumb extensively.

Think about it:
    -the pickups are close to the bridge to give you room for slapping and string pops near the neck.

-The body back is concave so you can play it chest-height without it crushing your ribs. The small compactness of the body helps too.

-The stubby upper horn is so designed such that it won't poke you in the nipple and the bass will balance more horizontally, so that you can use proper slap techniques and the neck won't be up in the stratosphere (since you're wearing it chest-height.) When playing a bass chest-height, you don't particularly want the neck at a steep upward angle.
  4. Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    It's the shape of the horn.
  5. Even if this isn't why they named it the thumb, it'd be better if it was lol. :p