Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Up or In?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Terike, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Up

51 vote(s)
    58.0%
  2. In

24 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. Other?!?!

13 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. Terike

Terike

May 15, 2005
    I was wondering, When playing fingerstyle, do you "pluck" pulling the string up towards you, or push it down?

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I believe I pluck it "up", and when I pop, I'm popping it "out". My slapping makes it kinda go "in/down"

3. I pull it "up" towards the next string

4. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    You should pull the string into the pickup to get the fullest sound.

5. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    i play both up and down, kinda like geddys new style. its like flameko (sp??)

6. o.rion.5

o.rion.5

Oct 17, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    So I didn't read you post I just answered the question.

I rather be getting in rather than just up.

7. Upwards here, I've tried inwards but it feels unnatural, inconsistant and slow. It works well with a light touch, and I used the technique for a few months but found my touch was so light it was giving me a slap sound if I played over the neck, which is another technique in my arsenal to perfect over time.

8. I kinda pull in and up, at an angle. More upwards though.

9. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Yes, you want to pluck the string towards the body of the bass as much as possible, it yields a lot more bass.

10. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i pluck the strings in towards the bass/pickup. i have never given it any thought before this, its just the way i do it.

11. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I don't know if you call it a "Pluck", that's more what I think of when popping. I let my first digit of my finger bend in a upward motion.

12. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    I pull up, and up only, as soft as possible. Plucking towards the body of the bass seems to make it more likely to buzz with my setup.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But you might not want the fullest sound all the time and might like some dynamic variation and tone shaping, using your fingers...:meh:

14. I use both extremes, as well as mixtures of the two. Going straight in yields the aggressive tones, while plucking parallel to the fretboard with the nails yields a cleaner more pure sound.

Like just about everything, I don't think there is necessarily a single right way, just what is right for you at that situation.

And like just about everything, some will disagree and say there is only one correct way.

15. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I used to pluck down towards the pickups, but since I've been starting to play a lot harder, the strings start hitting the pups and it sounds like crap. Now I just pluck straight out, parallel from the pickups. Sounds pretty good to me.

-Dash

16. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    towards the bass...I guess that's "in". Especially when fast finger picking. It's kind of like just letting your fingers roll heavily off the top of the string.

17. mines probably angled I'm playing with a floating thumb, and i "try" usually to pull the string across the fretboard, or toward the string above it.

18. I pluck inward, toward the body of the bass.

19. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
  20. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses

Same here