1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Up to 6 Months without Being Able to Play

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rockmusician, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Rockmusician

Rockmusician Inactive

In addition to playing bass, I have also played ice hockey at a high level (full contact, pro-am, etc.). The 40 plus years of playing have finally taken their toll. In my right shoulder I have 2 tears in the labrum, a torn rotator cuff, bone spurs and arthritis. I have similar issues in the left shoulder. Surgeon said he can fix the problems but after the surgery I will be in a sling for a month followed by 2 months of rehab. Then the same for the left side. That means 6 months without playing bass. Not looking forward to it. SUCKS to get OLD!

2. Time for piano lessons.

3. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Same for me.
    Tore my Rotator Cuff, and broke left hand, and left pinky finger.
    Had to have pins put in my hand.
    Could not play for 4-6 months.
    Only good new was playing bass was the best rehab I had.
    Now I'm better than before.
    Time will pass quickly.
    Best of luck.

4. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Texas
    Sounds like one to many donnybrooks has finally caught up to ya eh?

On the bright side you apparently can still type! :smug:

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    I suggest you take better care of yourself over the next 40 years. It doesn't get any easier. :bawl:

Health problems can pile up and be hard resolve. Better you get everything fixed now and treat your body well so you'll be ready for the next few decades being healthy and pain free.

Good luck.

PS. You can always work on ear training. :)

6. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    Going through that same deal. I have a tear in the extensor tendon in my right elbow that makes playing really painful. Surgery next month and then 4 weeks of rehab. Not looking forward to surgery, but it's got to be better than dealing with a bum arm all the time. And yes, it sucks getting old. If this had happened in my 20's, it would have healed up on its own just fine.

7. OOZMAN

OOZMAN

Jun 16, 2010
    Australia
    I broke my left wrist and needed surgery (2 plates + 9 screws (I think, I keep forgetting how many screws))... It was out of action for a looooooong time... a bit longer than the 3 months you stated for each shoulder. It definitely felt longer than that. Sorry, I'm not helping am I? :bag::D
    This was before I played bass, however.

On the plus side, I'M BIOLOGICALLY MORE METAL THAN MOST PEOPLE :bassist:... or something... :D. I always remind my bandmates of this.

Anyway, I wish you good health!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021