Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jeff2287, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Jeff2287

May 4, 2002
    Generally, how many steps can you up-tune a string before it's in danger of snapping easily?
  2. um, 1, maybe? dude, just get a capo.
  3. Jeff2287

May 4, 2002
    Pardon me, but what is a capo exactly?
  4. A capo is what you wear on your head-o.

BWAHAHAHAA...ah...ah...thats not funny..
  5. this
    is a capo.

is how they are used.
  6. yep, go into any guitar store and ask for one. shouldn't cost much.
  7. They make bass capos?

By the way, I tried up-tuning once, with my 5-string BTB...the results? Let us look at the data.

Tuned B string to E
    Tight, but fine

Tuned E string to A
    Tight, a little worried

Tuned A string to D
    Beginning to wonder why I'm doing this

Tuned D string to Gb--oh s**t, I broke it! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!

This was a true story and a string really was harmed in the making of this.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That's not very good for your neck, either.
  9. A standard guitar capo should cover the width of a bass neck. Having never tried one before, I really have no idea. They may even make capos for bass. I never had the need for one, so I've never done any research.

I uptuned a bass when I was first learning. I tuned my E up to something like C before it broke. I just kept turning and turning and turning, then SPATAAAANG!!!!! that basturd snapped and split the meat of my hand wide open. :mad:

Of course I learned my lesson and havent done anything stupid like that since.
    ;) :p
  10. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    What would be the oint of using a capo on bass? just move your hand up a few frets and you've got the same effect.
  11. I capo my bass with a Dunlop banjo toggle capo. i capo at the 10th fret and play chords.
  12. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Tell that to thousands of guitarists.

It does have its advantages. It can making chording much easier, for one. Also, if a singers vocal range can sound better with everything else tuned up a few steps it would sound much better, much easier than tuning and retuning.
  13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Or you could learn to transpose, like thousands of musicians. Oh, no, wait... that wouldn't be easy... that might actually require effort to be spent attaining knowledge. Forget I mentioned anything.

14. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hey man, relax.

I was giving the guy an answer to his question of what uses capos have. I, myself, actually would transpose the notes myself.

Really, what was the point of you implying my lack of musicianship? What would lead you to the conclusion that I was also lazy and not take the time to actually transpose the notes? I bet you feel much better now that you have though. Good job.
  15. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Well, your stating that using a capo was easier than transposing. That pretty much screams "Lazy" to me.....:rolleyes:
  16. Neither have I ever needed one (I just transpose the notes). But, just for kicks, I took friend of mine's capo and tried to put it on the neck of my BTB and it didn't fit. I've never seen a bass capo, though. I doubt they make them, since it's probably easier to transpose notes on bass than chords on guitar.
  17. the main purpose of a capo is to facilitate open chords on guitar which have a distinct voicing. for bass, it would be something like schism, which has a droning note. it's dang hard to transpose that unless you've got huge hands or something.

just try out the capo before you buy it to make sure it fits on a bass.

pacman, if you're up to the challenge, try playing, say, 46 & 2 by tool a step up without a capo. i won't be as brash as to say you couldn't do it, but i'd like to hear you try! :D

post mp3s if you nail it.
  18. I can understand how one would want to use a capo if one relied on an open string drone or some-such, but most guitarists I know who use them a lot (switching it every song, etc.) do so because they suck at barre chords.

You will almost never see a jazz guitarist use a capo. Getting hung up on one particular pretty-sounding voicing is not worth sacrificing any notes from your instrument's range.
  19. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Nowhere in either of my posts did I state anything like that. I didnt even mention anything about transpoing, the question was on capos, not on transposing. So, please, quit putting words in my mouth.

As you can see, there are reasons for capos. I dont think that I would ever buy one. I have no need for one.

So please, Lay off the rolley eyes.