Upcoming audition for Berklee

Discussion in 'Ask the Berklee Bass Department' started by Chermel Porter, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Chermel Porter

Chermel Porter

Feb 22, 2018
    I auditioned for Berklee on drums in 2016 and was rejected. I can pin point a few things I did wrong and lacked in. I play multiple instruments, and I'm giving it a try on bass this time. i consider myself a pretty good bassist. Going into the audition the last time, I was overly confident and just nervous and everything at once but I thought I would get in for sure. Going in this tome I would like to know what are the factors Berklee takes into consideration when accepting a bassist, what skills would increase my chance of acceptance, what are some reasons a bassist would get rejected? Does the prepared piece have an effect on the decision?

Thank you!

2. Danny Morris

Danny Morris Berklee Bass Department

Feb 15, 2013
    Hi Chermel,
    what are the factors Berklee takes into consideration when accepting a bassist..
    I can speak to the audition, which is just one part of the application process..
    I listen for your ability to function as a Berklee student. We are in the business of teaching and we have a curriculum which involves not only bass related classes, labs and lessons, but also every student is required to take Core classes, meaning ear training, harmony, arranging, music technology, and it is important for us to know that you will be able to succeed in these classes..mind you that we are there to teach, inspire and guide you...so we are looking at how you function in the audition, and from there we can make a recommendation to the admissions board favorably or otherwise, perhaps recommending more preparation before coming to Berklee...

what skills would increase my chance of acceptance..
    if you show us throughout the audition process which btw lasts 15 minutes, no longer, that you have a musical skillset in place that will enable us to teach you and that you will function as a student on campus...specifically, the ability to converse musically on your prepared piece, on an imrpovisation we play with you, on a call and response with us displaying that you have an ear that would function in a Berklee classroom, a rhythmic call and response which demonstrates to us that your rhythmic groove is in a healthy place and again we're not expecting you to be a super star already..in that case you should perhaps hit the road and do your thing! we are looking for students to teach and for them to be happy and thrive on campus...
    what are some reasons a bassist would get rejected?
    if the student demonstrates a lack of the abilities mentioned above to the point that it would be a hardship in our opinion for the student to successfully complete our Core classes which are a pre requisite to all other classes prior to deciding your specific major..

Does the prepared piece have an effect on the decision?
    Oh yes, the prep piece is the first impression we have of you..it is a good time for you to demonstrate what it is you got musically speaking..pick a piece that you feel comfortable with..one that you dig..that will help introduce you to us...

I hope these answers help and look forward to hearing and meeting you one day!
    best, Danny Morris Professor Bass Dept. Instagram#dmoplaysbass

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Cownancy likes this.
  3. Chermel Porter

Chermel Porter

Feb 22, 2018
    Thank you for replying, this helped me feel more sure of myself going in. The prepared piece doesn’t have to be too “flashy”? As long as I can play it accurately and great? And enjoy it.