Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upcoming classified ad (for audiophiles) Re: loudspeakers.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Im a sock, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Hi... since I don't think everybody here looks at the classifieds on a regular basis, I'd like to announce that I will be putting up an ad for a pair of vintage, mint condition, perfectly in-working-order Ohm model F loudspeakers. I've gotten the O.K. from Blackbird, since these aren't bass or pro-audio related. I feel as though Talkbass would be a good place to post this ad as I know there are a few audiophiles here, as I'd like members to get the first crack at them before Ebay. Check the classifieds in the next day or two for more info.

2. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I bet those are some pretty nifty speakers.

Good luck selling them. I'm too young to experience the best already or else I'll have nothing to aim for. ;)

3. OOO!!!

I'm currently listening to a pair of Magnepan MG-IIIa Planar-Magnetic speakers... these Ohm Walsh speakers have interested me since I first caught the audiophile bug... I wish I had tons of $$$...we'll see...

--jeff

4. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Have you ever heard of the Ohm A?

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'd like to mention that I usually prefer to see ads that are directly related to our instrument, but as these are high end, hard to find items, I reckoned TBers would appreciate the opportunity to get them.

I'm workin' hard for you people.:D

6. I've heard of them, of course, but I haven't heard them. Nor have I heard the F's - the design has intrigued me, however, and I've heard many great things about the speakers.

The A's were the original vehicle for Lincoln Walsh's design, if I understand correclty - and the F's, while smaller, are better performers.

So, what are you getting to repalce your F's?

--jeff
    P.S. check out http://www.multimediaanswers.com/uniquespeakers.html

7. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Nothing. We have a pair of A's here.

P.S.- :D

EDIT: As far as the F's being better performers than the A's, I don't believe it's true. As far as the multimedia answers webpage goes.. my father sent the A's to Florida to get lightly serviced, and the ceo of multimedia answers contacted him about the A's... as far as he knows, there are only 12 working pairs of A's left in the world.

8. WOW... only 12... very imrpessive!

Way too rich for my blood... besides, shipping them up here to Canada would be RIDICULOUSLY expensive!

Ideally you could find a buyer within driving distance - it would be a bloody shame to see such fine speakers damaged in shipping...

My Magnepan MG-IIIa's were shipped to me from California - let's not even talk about the cost, but luckily they arrived in perfect condition. Not near as heavy though - only 130lbs for the pair! All the major carriers wouldn't even touch them for their physical size - the package was over 6' tall and 2' wide. Took a month and a half for them to arrive. Very unimpressive.

I wish you the best of luck selling your Ohms.

--jeff

9. Slightly off topic, what do you guys use to drive your Model A's? Must be some pretty hefty stuff!

--jeff