1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Upcoming gigs in NY or Boston ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Oddly, Jul 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Hi folks.
    I'm taking the wife and kids (well if you can call two 20+'s kids) on vacation to New York and Boston.
    We'll be in NY (staying in Brooklyn) 25 July to 1 August, then Boston to 7 August.

I'm just wondering if any TB'ers are playing out anywhere nearby during those dates?
    I do have a Staten Island Yankees game and a Lion King show to go to, but I'd love to catch some good live music.

I do have a list of music stores to visit (thanks @ShoeManiac )- I'm hoping I might come across a nice Precision to bring home as a souvenir.
    I've been checking the TB classifieds and the local CraigsLists, but haven't seen just what I'm looking for yet.

2. Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    No-one?
    Nobody's playing in that 13 days?

Amazing !

I had a chat with @Joe Nerve before he left about a Burlesque/Led Zep show he might've been doing in Brooklyn, but surely some of TB's NY/Boston members could recommend something?

3. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

May 20, 2002
    Provided content for Genzler Amplification
    Hiromi is playing the Blue Note
    Blue Note HIROMI + SPECIAL GUEST TBA - 2016-07-28

55 Bar is always cool
    ::::::The 55 Bar::::::

Central Park Summerstage has interesting stuff
    SummerStage Archives - City Parks Foundation

Bronx Zoo is nice
    Saving Wildlife and Wild Places - Bronx Zoo

If you're into dance, the Joyce Theater is hard to beat:
    THE JOYCE THEATER

If you take the 7 to Queens you can check out the Flushing Food Malls and a Mets game:
    How to Eat Flushing: A One-Day Food Tour of NYC's Greatest Chinatown
    Citi Field

Celebrate Brooklyn has some acts:
    BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival

Definitely check out the Hip-Hop open jam at Arlene's Grocery called The Lesson. It's a late night, but can be amazing.
    Arlene's Grocery

4. Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Thanks @Hotblack , some very good suggestions...

possibly a bit too cool and jazzy for my taste, although KJ Denhart in the 55 looks very interesting.

The LA Dance Project at the Joyce also looks very promising, especially as my daughter is a dancer.

As a token of my thanks for taking the time to help me out, I just downloaded your CD for my vacation soundtrack...very fine playing - maybe after listening to it a couple of times it's inherent coolness will improve my musical tastes !

5. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

May 20, 2002
    Provided content for Genzler Amplification
    KJ is way cool and puts on a great show. 55 is a really small, but very friendly spot. Next door is the Stonewall Inn, recently added to America's National Monuments. Word of advice, if you go into Stonewall, guard your wallet.

Since you have a dancer in the family, I HIGHLY recommend checking out Soledad Barrio & Noche Flamenca (tour). They're playing Lincoln Center Out of Doors on Aug. 3, and those are typically free shows. I've seen them about 6 times and have never been disappointed. Check out some of their videos on their website. Incredible stuff.

If you want to veer off the jazz path, Shrine is an interesting venue. They have a bit of everything there, from rock to afrobeat, soul to electronica. The food isn't bad. Small spot with a very chill crowd.
    Shrine World Music Venue

Thanks for downloading the CD and the kudos. Don't hesitate to drop me a line if you need some recommendations for stuff to do while you visit NYC. Safe travels.

Edit: Just re-read that you'll be in Boston by the 3rd. Well...check out the videos anyway. Great stuff.

Oddly likes this.
  6. Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    That Flamenco show looks really great, but we'll be in Boston by then.
    I'm thinking I'm going to definitely get to KJ at the 55.