1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upcoming Gigs (Yes, gigs plural... more than one!!!!)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by tb-player, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Yep. We're back.

2. Kinda. It's sparse.

3. Nope, but fingers crossed!

4. I don't gig. But I do get my daily allowance of beta-carotene.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tb-player

tb-player Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    For the last 6 years, I've been playing with some older guys from the area, gigging maybe twice a year, just for fun. These guys are kind of the local legends. One spent a bunch of time in Nashville doing the songwriting thing. Another is the local go-to drummer for miles around. Tons of experience in this band. Plus, we have an actual, legit horn section. Fun-fact: our original lead-guitar player was the bassist for The Charlie Daniels Band (Sadly, he recently got sick. Doesn't play anymore.).

It's interesting, since I started with these guys, I've typically been the youngest guy in the band... which I like. It means I'm doing something right. These guys don't mess around.

We've been getting together on Tuesday nights to socially-distance jam and kind-of gel. It's been fun, but I've missed playing somewhere other than my church (which I always appreciate. Church musicians have been some of the few musicians who gigged regularly during quarantine).

Yesterday, I got the group text that we're now setup for a monthly gig at this cool little wine bar down near the beach. We've played there before. It's a small year-round place that the locals love. Fall crowds crowds were typically about 100 people or more. Post-covid, I'm not sure to expect. But who cares? At least, we'll be playing.

We do a bunch of the singer's originals (he's an excellent songwriter). But we also do covers, which is great because a lot of these tunes are before my time. I've had a lot of catching up to do. Playing with these guys has significantly increased my personal catalog/repertoire (I've always leaned more toward jazz tunes).

Here's a peek at some of the covers on the setlist, in no particular order (cuz that's how we'll play them... lol). A lot of you guys will probably look at this list and think, no big deal. Played them a hundred times.
    • One Way Out - Allman Bros
    • Crossroads - Clapton
    • Call Me the Breeze - JJ Cale
    • Mercury Blues - Steve Miller
    • Tupelo Honey - Van Morrison
    • Feelin' Alright - Joe Cocker
    • Stranger Blues - Steve Miller
    • Born Under a Bad Sign - Albert King
    • Everything is Broken - Bob Dylan
    • I've Got Dreams to Remember - Delbert McClinton
    • God's Gonna Cut You Down - Johnny Cash (funk version... seriously!)
    • Stir It Up - Bob Marley
    • People Get Ready - Curtis Mayfield
    • Ain't No Sunshine - Bill Withers
    • Your Cash Ain't Nothin' But Trash - Steve Miller
    • The Letter - Joe Cocker
    • Fast As You - Dwight Yoakim
    • All Along the Watchtower - Hendrix
    Why am I sharing this? Who knows? I guess I'm just excited to be playing out again. We had a gig last weekend that washed out last minute. So I'm glad the powers-that-be didn't waste time making up for it.

Curious if anyone else is back at it?

2. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Jokes:

IMG_8B2273426361-1.jpeg

McG likes this.
  3. dlb1001

dlb1001

Jan 30, 2007
    The band that I play in, has a gig this weekend then next week, we will be playing at a wedding. For this week's gig, we will playing from either trailer or some type of bandstand, depending on whether the bandstand gets completed in time. It is a drive-up gig, where people will hearing us from their cars, to minimize contact.

4. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    As of the moment, my gig calendar is empty until April 2021 – and even that's conditional. But I'm glad to hear that some folks are already back out there.
    You gotta post some video of that!

5. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Haha... it happened by accident. We were doing it straight and it was kind of boring. So one guitar player started playing a James Brown style riff in E. I hopped in with a fairly typical mixolydian funk bass line. The drummer joined in and then, out of nowhere, the singer started doing this sing/rap that really worked.

When it ended, we all looked at each other and said, " That was either really awful... or absolutely amazing!" Most everyone agreed on amazing. I must admit, the jury's still out as far as I'm concerned. But when we broke it down, they gave me a bass solo... so I'll roll with it. :thumbsup:

6. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Nice! Color me jealous. I haven't even had a rehearsal in 6 months...

7. mexicant

mexicant

Aug 28, 2012
    Mid Michigan,USA
    We played a outdoor gig in July and we were booked for a indoor gig that got canceled twice!
    In michigan,indoor music venues and theaters are opening, and we're booked for October 19th. Now we need to knock off the cobwebs!

8. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    S. Texas Hill Country
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Just booked the fourth gig for next month, all outside at restaurants. Gotta make the best of our two weeks of fall in South Texas! And booked a session next weekend in my yet-to-be-completed recording studio. So things are looking up, down here!

9. We played on March 3rd and then nothing till the end of July. Originally had 39 dates set for 2020, but everything was canceled after the March job. We did two outdoor gigs in August and had one canceled due to weather about 3 weeks ago. That one is rescheduled to next week. A few more weeks and it will be cold here; when that happens I think all bets will be off. Hope things can pick up safely soon.

Thump on,

One_ Dude

10. We played March 14th and that was a clean cut with our former singer/cajon player.

Getting his replacement up was a real challenge when all the shutdowns hit and we couldn't practice. But she worked hard and we were up the beginning of June, two gigs per month outside since then. We have 2 in October and NYE booked right now. 2 per month is our average so while any gigs is a good thing it will be nice to get back to that.

Tony In Philly and Sore Thumb like this.
  11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Nope. September has been cancelled and I suspect October as well. Bandleader has been using a 'lite' version of the band for gigs here and there. Couple horns and either guitar or piano. I think he's doing it wrong. He should use the rhythm section with him on sax/vocals. But hey, it ain't my thing.

12. Well, this has become a disappointing week in terms of gigs.

We just added a Nov date, had 2 in Oct and NYE booked as well.

Now the Nov and Oct dates are all off. NYE looks to be the next time we play.

This sucks, to expound more on why would violate to many rules on TB so I'll leave it at that. :rage:

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021