1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upcoming NBD . Hohner Phoenix DLX - anyone played this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maxdusty, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Just pulled the trigger on buying a Hohner Phoenix DLX bass I saw on the GC website this morning. I won't be getting it in the mail for a few more days.
    It was cheap for $99 and thought it was a low risk purchase. I do have a Hohner active headless bass which looks like it utilizes similar pickups and controls even the active switch with the led. I love the sound of it but not too hot on the headless neck and have always wondered how the same electronics would be on a more normal bass with a good neck, well here came the opportunity this morning, guess I'll find out.
    My question is has anyone actually played this bass before? The salesperson at the GC was just incredulous the store priced it this low when trying to describe it to me, I don't know if that was more to get me to buy it though. The picture doesn't do the finish justice, the finish is a walnut stain, not a painted finish as it looks in the pic. Perhaps something like the only other pic I can find of the bass, the 2nd picture?

There's little information or reviews on the bass online, there's possibly some erroneous information on it too as one mentions it has a wood top but carbon Fiber body. wha????...lol!!!..
    The credible info I can find is this:

Phoenix Deluxe

- similar to the Phoenix Standard, except features Louisiana swamp ash body, 2 HPC-4 Custom active/passive pickups, gold hardware, abalone fingerboard dot inlay, active electronics LED indicator, available in Desert Walnut Stain finish, mfg. 1998-2002

Again, if anyone has played one of these before, can you tell me what the bass is like? If it's crap, I can at least get started on drafting a Craigslist posting. :)

hohnerdlx. hohner-phoenix-dlx-31149.

2. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Just got the bass today and I'm floored! The bass has a terrific deep sound but has a pretty nice range of tones in between. Love the fact that it's an active bass with a switch for passive (yay!). Bass is heavier than I thought, weighs about the same as my Fender P bass, nice walnut stain finish and action is nice on it. Only thing I need to do is switch the strings to the ones I use, and replace the strap lock strap holders which I hate. Has few signs of use but really not bad at all.
    I was willing to flip this if it turned out to be a bass I couldn't work with but even though I've had it for a short time, I can already tell this one's a keeper. If you can find one cheap, I definitely recommend giving it a try. Reminds me very much of Schecter basses.
    Best $99 bass I've had in a long time. (Thanks GC, used prices of these are usually in the $250-350 range) :) 2014-06-05 12.39.23.

3. Hey Max Congratulations.

It's always great to hear of someone getting a deal.Lets not mention the price as
    allowing for exchange rates it's crazy low.

A good solid workhorse that'll last you for years and a fine looking bass as well.

Reckon the lack of response could be jealousy.:)

Maxdusty likes this.
  4. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

Mar 13, 2014
    I'd have to put Elixer's on it.

Congrats

Maxdusty likes this.
  5. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Thanks for the congrats and the string advice.
    I can see how this bass is going to last for many years, it's so solidly built- quite a bit of heft to it too. Very, very happy with it.
    There isn't much info about this bass at all online which probably means not a whole lot of people have played this bass nor know much about it at least in the US. I myself have never seen this model but will keep my eyes open for another one. :)

6. Max here's what the Hohner catalogue has to say.

Phoenix Deluxe 1999
    classic city series; Louisiana swamp ash body; top: double freedom
    cutaway; maple neck, bolt-on; rosewood fingerboard; 2 HPC-4 custom
    pickups; 24 frets; deluxe gold hardware; vol/vol/tone; colour: desert
    walnut stain

It might have been made by Cort in Korea. Can't find a price but you know they
    went for a lot more than $99 so just makes the deal sweeter.

If I can get more info I'll get back to you, meanwhile enjoy that bass you lucky guy.

Maxdusty likes this.
  7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    nice bass you got there. It reminds me of a peavey grind.

8. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Looks a bit like the Hohner HRB-V Deluxe I also got for low price. Same body shape, but HRB-V is mahogany body with different pickups- look like Cort Steinberger pickups, while the preamp w/led looks like the one in the Cort Steinberger also (same as was in BBassVI pawn shop special that wasn't working- replaced with OBP-3), and has Might-Mite bridge. Versitile tone from the preamp, and very growly bass- somewhat due to the mahogany body?
    Yours looks like it has the same Mighty-Mite bridge and pre-amp/ knob setup that the BBass and HRB models have.
    Seems Cort (Korea) used parts that they commissioned and used in basses made for Ibanez, Steinberger, etc, in basses that they designed to be sold under their name, and some of those parts were used in the Hohners.
    The HRB-V neck feels just like an Ibanez SR5 neck and the BBassVI neck, altho thru-neck feels just like Ibanez SR506 from the '90's- same measurements for both the 5's and for both of the 6's..

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    Maxdusty likes this.
  9. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    lol... that's right! It does. Couldn't think of what it reminded me of.

@kodiakblair - thank you for the information! I was getting some erroneous info on the bass prior to purchase from a website that mentioned the carbon fiber body. (it most definitely doesn't have one. :) )

@JustForSport - The HRB-V Deluxe looks fantastic - where did you find yours? I just looked at some pictures of that model, and really like it. All I can say is that I'm pleasantly surprised and a little baffled at why there's little information out there about these basses. I have to say, other than the headless Hohner basses (I have one), I wasn't at all familiar with the other models.

Crystalman85 likes this.
  10. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    I found my HRB-V Deluxe on the 'bay, but they're pretty rare- couldn't find much info on it, but with info from Cort in Korea, where it was made, and another Hohner I have (and trying to find info on that), besides other Cort-produced models for other Names, I've found out a bit more about it. Was maybe going to sell it to make room for something else, but it's really nice cond, OHSC, plays and sounds really clean and growly, and I haven't gotten to listing it yet.
    I wasn't aware of the Hohner Phoenix DLX model either- I like the clean lines and natural finish- looks alot like the Cort C5P body shape (got the Hohner horns, tho), etc and may have the same pickups- the C5P has dual-coil Mighty Mite pickups that sound pretty good in that bass with the original pre.
    As I mentioned before, it seems that the Cort Korea made Hohners were made using components that Cort had made for other manufacturer's models- bridges, pickups, pre-amps, tuners, and some similar body and neck profiles rather than re-designing something that already was proven.

Maxdusty likes this.