Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

upcoming purchase (help needed)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jaworski, Mar 8, 2003.

1. jaworski

jaworski

Aug 18, 2002
    hey everyone, i recently decided to upgrade my amp and have gone around to a few different places to check out prices and stuff, the first place had an Ashton 150w for $799 and i thought that might be decent but then at the second place i went too the guy told me Ashton's aernt any good, there speakers usually don't last too long, so i asked him what he thought would be good for my situation and stuff and he recommended the Hartke B90 which is priced at this place for $1199 but the guy said he could probally get it down to $900 for me. i was only planning to spend $500-800 but am thinking now that its probally best to spend a bit more and get something of better quality. i liked the sound and features of the Hartke but just want to know if you think this is a reasonable price for this amp, or if i should look for something else (keep in mind i haven't checked out the all bass store in my area yet) is it worth spending the extra money, cause i dont want to have to upgrade my amp until i start playing in a serious band or something. sorry about the long post but i'd really like some advice. here's the link for the amp

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=20&brandID=3

thanks in advance

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Is this the same Hartke B90 you can order from Sam Ash for $359.95?

http://www.samash.com/catalog/search.asp

Type in Hartke B 90 in the search window and hit the button.

Rule #1 Salesmen will tell you anything to get your money.

Rule#2 Always know what the competition will sell the same item for. Musicians friend, American music supply, sam Ash etc... before buying from a local store. That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy from a local store, that means know what your options are so you don't get ripped off! :bassist:

3. HannibalSpector

HannibalSpector

Mar 27, 2002
    Australia
    Hi
    I assume you live in Australia or NZ based on the prices of gear you mentioned.
    $500-$800 will get you a decent 2nd hand amp. Unfortunately it won't go very far in the new arena.
    I'd check out the following - Ebony amplifiers
    and www.proaudio.com.au (these are decent amps)

cheers

4. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    One thing you could do, if you decide to buy from and music store that claims to match prices, is find what you want online, cheap, and print out the page and show them there. Tell them if they dont give you that price, youll but it online.

I got myself a free hardshell case doing that.

5. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    With the budget you mentioned you should be able to get something of much better quality than the amps you mentioned. Check the links below for a GK 700RB and an Avatar C115 cab for a nice portable good quality rig for less than $800. :bassist:

http://www.birdlandmusic.net/item82757.ctlg
    http://www.avatarspeakers.com

6. jaworski

jaworski

Aug 18, 2002
    sorry i didn't state this before but yeh i am from australia that's why the prices are probally a bit weird, thanks to the hannibal guy, i checked out that pro audio place for a few possible items, i came up with these two:

BC-100 Bass Combo
    A powerful, strongly built 100- watts RMS bass combo that carries on the Pro Audio bass combo tradition. This beauty comes loaded with a with heavy duty USA-made 15-inch, 150 watt speaker. Lots of tone control with treble, high mid, low mid and bass controls , effects loop, plus high boost, low cut and mid shape switches. Ideal for school bands, club gigs, or serious beginners. Great Aussie value for money, brought to you by Pro Audio. Cash price $699

BC-250 Bass Combo:
    Powerhouse 250 watts RMS amp that features a 15" USA-built speaker. This bass combo has all the goods, without the big price tag! Suits any style of playing, with treble, high mid, low mid and bass controls plus a 7-band switchable graphic E.Q., effects loop and tone shaping switches! The BC-250 is the best bass amp combo you can buy in Australia for this money. It's a winner! Cash price $995

i think either would be pretty good, the first one is pretty powerful and would still leave me with some extra cash would be good, only thing is i couldn't actually test the amp out because the store is interstate, so anyone had any experience with pro audio stuff, this series imparticular. i'll also try to get to this bass specialty store by the end of week and see what they have and their prices and stuff... so ill get back to you soon

7. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Jaworski.......

Since Australia is such a tiny little island, you're probably no more than a block away from all of the other Aussie bass players on this forum. :D

Perhaps a couple of you could jump on the backs of a herd of wild "roos" and the experienced bassists would help you out in your search?

There's nothing like being "fleeced" by a shady saleperson to put the bitter taste of gear buying in the mouth of the innocent consumer. However, don't assume that your "local store" is up to no good, many of them are great. In fact, without them, we'll ALL be at the mercy of the SuperStores and Catalogs. Ewwwwww!

Peace,
    RB :)