upcoming warmoth project

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by harley_ou812, Nov 10, 2002.

1. I am looking into assembling a warmoth bass. I am looking to get a 5 string deluxe body and then get a moses neck. The body I am looking at is quilted maple on swamp ash. I am assuming this will be a pretty bright combination but wanted to verify. I have a fender jazz as my main bass right now. SO I am looking for something with a somewhat similiar feel but a different tonal options. I want to get to humbicking pickups that one coil from each pickup will be in the jazz locations and then have a coil tap. Is this a possibility? will it allow me to get a jazz tone? will the bridge pickup allow me to get a musicman type of tone? Is their a standard pickup location that warmot offers in these locations or will I need to get it custom routed? Any help on this upcoming project will be greatly appreciated
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm pretty sure that Warmoth will acomodate you but to be sure, sales@warmoth.com. It's best to get it from the horses mouth. :)

BTW, Brian from Warmoth is a member of this site & I'm sure he'll post a reply soon but he might be busy, so I'd try emailing them as well.
  3. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    I built a gecko with bart soaps and wired an extra mini-toggle to switch from outer coils/inner coils/all coils. The jazz sound of the outer coils is pretty cool and the other settings offer a lot of tonal flexibility. Preamp is the 5-knob bart - so the controls are just like an MTD except for the extra toggle. The PU blend allows me to solo either PU as a single coil or a humbucker. There are other coil-splitting possibilities I didn't exploit including P or reverse P.
  4. bwbass

May 6, 2002
    Sorry for the delay, I've been lurking on this thread but I like to see what other people have to say about us sometimes rather than jumping right in and being a know-it-all. But since you asked... :)

I think the best way to accomplish what you want would be to use the Rio Grande Powerbucker 5 pickups, which are humbuckers composed of two Jazz pickups stuck together, as on the Fender Roscoe Beck bass. You could use barts like Gant has done - which sound great but not dead-on like a Jazz pickup.

I'm pretty sure to rout these pickups we'd just do a standard pattern for Deluxe 5 Jazz pickups and then add extra ones a pickup's width up or down to make the double-routs. This sounds like our standard $35 custom routing charge to me. If you wanted to use something like Barts or EMG-TW pickups and move them so that the cut coil was in standard Jazz position, you'd probably be looking at the same cost.