Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

upcoming warmoth project

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by harley_ou812, Nov 10, 2002.

1. I am looking into assembling a warmoth bass. I am looking to get a 5 string deluxe body and then get a moses neck. The body I am looking at is quilted maple on swamp ash. I am assuming this will be a pretty bright combination but wanted to verify. I have a fender jazz as my main bass right now. SO I am looking for something with a somewhat similiar feel but a different tonal options. I want to get to humbicking pickups that one coil from each pickup will be in the jazz locations and then have a coil tap. Is this a possibility? will it allow me to get a jazz tone? will the bridge pickup allow me to get a musicman type of tone? Is their a standard pickup location that warmot offers in these locations or will I need to get it custom routed? Any help on this upcoming project will be greatly appreciated

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm pretty sure that Warmoth will acomodate you but to be sure, sales@warmoth.com. It's best to get it from the horses mouth. :)

BTW, Brian from Warmoth is a member of this site & I'm sure he'll post a reply soon but he might be busy, so I'd try emailing them as well.

3. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    I built a gecko with bart soaps and wired an extra mini-toggle to switch from outer coils/inner coils/all coils. The jazz sound of the outer coils is pretty cool and the other settings offer a lot of tonal flexibility. Preamp is the 5-knob bart - so the controls are just like an MTD except for the extra toggle. The PU blend allows me to solo either PU as a single coil or a humbucker. There are other coil-splitting possibilities I didn't exploit including P or reverse P.

4. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Sorry for the delay, I've been lurking on this thread but I like to see what other people have to say about us sometimes rather than jumping right in and being a know-it-all. But since you asked... :)

I think the best way to accomplish what you want would be to use the Rio Grande Powerbucker 5 pickups, which are humbuckers composed of two Jazz pickups stuck together, as on the Fender Roscoe Beck bass. You could use barts like Gant has done - which sound great but not dead-on like a Jazz pickup.

I'm pretty sure to rout these pickups we'd just do a standard pattern for Deluxe 5 Jazz pickups and then add extra ones a pickup's width up or down to make the double-routs. This sounds like our standard $35 custom routing charge to me. If you wanted to use something like Barts or EMG-TW pickups and move them so that the cut coil was in standard Jazz position, you'd probably be looking at the same cost.