Update: A BIG Thank You to All Who Responded & Offered Advice & Help

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by sludgetail, Aug 28, 2019.

1. sludgetail

sludgetail

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    I wanted to come back as promised after writing this thread the week before last:

Would You Stick Around Any Longer?

If you recall correctly, it was the beginning of a couple drugs & alcohol posts that later followed in the next couple days. I asked our friendly Mod to lock down the thread after I saw that there was a consensus, and that I had a right to be feeling what I did, and a right to be concerned and of course, value my time, music, and worth.

I wanted to come back as promised, to let all of you who took the time to read that extremely long post and to respond, a follow-up, as promised:

Upon the BL's return (he was on a work trip); I let him know that I could no longer continue with him. I kept it extremely respectful, and so did he (again, definitely one cool guy, even before the music, and someone I hope to keep in touch with). I initially left it pretty vague due to my time and that I had a lot of other important things to focus on, but he brought up the other issues and apologized for them -- and it opened a door to have a discussion (both over the phone and when picking up my rig).

The BL definitely acknowledged the issues, especially the issues with the hash/pot as well as how things are derailing, though he didn't put it this mildly or sugar coat it. He also addressed each of sessions where these problems reared their head, including a short-notice session I did not attend the following week after said incidents.

He let me know that the following week both the drummer and 2nd guitar player actually got even worse (if you can believe that). They ran through the setlist then the drummer called 2 friends "who were in town," to the band leader's studio (and session) and the 4 of them (2 friends + Drummer & 2nd GP) got high. They smoked 3 joints (hash) in a matter of a couple hours.

What's worse is that the song I mentioned we were working on (during the JUST PLAY IT JUST PLAY IT outburst) was completely forgotten -- in fact -- they didn't even remember that they video taped and recorded the song nor working on it, in order to even begin playing it -- it was effectively a brand new song to them. Again, this stuff affects everyone differently, and this is pretty extreme.

That said, I didn't want to make this another drugs or weed or alcohol post -- it was more a post about how helpful you all are. How cool you've been to me, and how much I appreciate you for reading that -- helping me channel my time & energy into worthwhile projects and things that matter, as well as freeing me from continuing down a path that would have led me nowhere... at the very least, saving me A LOT OF TIME.

THANK YOU ALL, and case closed.

PS -- tried a couple drummers out, met one that is phenomenal, lives nearby, has a pro attitude, and the funk is alive and proud when we got together. He's also an awesome guy who is extremely considerate, and seasoned enough to have played with some of the best. For this I'm extremely grateful, and I just wanted to drop a happy ending on everything. Thanks again, TB!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  2. Personally I have no issue with occasional light recreational intoxication. Rehersal and gigs are not the place, period. If you need that stuff to think you're better or mote functional or whatever (you're definitely not) we're done. Period. Highly unprofessional.

sludgetail likes this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

:thumbsup:

the first thread closed before i was able to chime in, but i read your OP and the posts which followed/advised with some interest.

this post: just to say "thanks" for the follow-up --- glad things are 'looking up' for you...and good luck on your journey! :thumbsup:

sludgetail likes this.
  4. sludgetail

sludgetail

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    JRA -- thank you so much for the kind words and for taking the time to check out the original post... yeah I'm sorry I locked that sucker up -- I just saw there was a consensus and if you saw how the crazy posts that followed went (or blew up), I was just hoping to get the details off the front page :)

Thanks so much for the warm wishes brother, and right back at'cha my friend. It's definitely been a journey, and it's a weird feeling leaving something that you had high hopes for. Like many things though, once you close the doors on something that isn't aligned with your interests/arc, it makes more room for the good stuff...

Hope you're taking it easy and staying cool my friend -- thanks again!

JRA likes this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

:thumbsup:

sludgetail likes this.