1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

UPDATE: EVEN BETTER Make you EUB sound (more) Like Your DB Go to post #19

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by rickwolff, Aug 30, 2017.

1. After reading the original post, it made me realize I have the same problem with my Allegro (and have also thought of selling it because of too much sustain). I use Jargars on my old Kay, (I like a dark, thumpy tone). Maybe I should try cutting down an old set, anything to look out for? Just cut them down with wire cutters and string it up to pitch?

2. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ (Certified Gear Junkie) Supporting Member

That's about it. Just measure twice and cut once so you don't cut too much off the string and end up without enough windings. I hope this works as well for you as it did for me. It is truly a game-changer.

3. Very timely thread for me. I also own an BSX Allegro; an earlier version with the vol/tone controls on the left rear of the back. I use the instrument for gigs where the schlep or environment is a pain for me and/or the double bass. I've been considering selling off the instrument, because the sound, while not bad, doesn't compare to the sound of my double bass. The sound of the real thing is seductive and addictive, isn't it?

It's currently strung with 1/2 Spiro Weichs. How are the Helicore Hybrids Lights in comparison? I don't have any experience with the Helicores at all. I'm debating whether the 3/4 Spiros will be worth the extra expense on this bass.

4. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ (Certified Gear Junkie) Supporting Member

I haven't tried the Spiro 3/4s on that bass but I'm VERY happy with the Helicore Hybrid Lights. So far I only have them on the G and D strings. I still have Spiros (1/2 size mittels) on the A and E. I'd probably be happy with it as it is now, but I may switch out the A as well. I don't have a HHL E so I'm just going to keep the Spiro on the E - I don't mind the extra growl for the low notes - although in my experience a HHL growls nicely as well.

I'd suggest giving the HHLs a try. Since you can buy individual strings in the 3/4 size why not start by trying the G and D. I bet you'll be amazed at how much more like a 'real' DB it sounds and feels. As I had mentioned in an earlier post, I had put mine up for sale, and now I pulled the ad and plan on keeping it. The 3/4 strings made a world of difference.

Good luck!

Francois Blais likes this.
  5. Maple

Maple Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area

I had spiro Weich's on my EUB and thought they sounded good but had way too much sustain. It now has Helicore Orchestras. But I really don't be play my EUB much at all now

6. THANK YOU rickwolff for initiating this issue (and thanks to Francois for solving the puzzle)! I swapped my half-size G & D for some old Jargars, what a difference! No more out of control 'mwah'. After all, I have a fretless bass guitar for that. I may also change the E & A eventually, but I'm going to use the Allegro as is tonight, I think I'm going to love it.

rickwolff and Francois Blais like this.
  7. UPDATE: Had a great gig last night with the new/old strings on my BSX Allegro, band-mates thought it sounded great too! It won't replace my beloved old Kay, but it's certainly going to see a lot more use. So glad I didn't sell it. Thanks again for the info guys, Talkbass is awesome!

rickwolff likes this.