1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Update on Guitar Center's used prices - no discount

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Direct Box Rox, Jul 11, 2019.

1. 90 days before they mark it down or consider dropping the price
    Did no one read my posts in the other thread?

2. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

My mistake, you said you had your eye on it.

Glad it worked out.

SactoBass likes this.
  3. I've been able to get them to move on price (and/or) include extras, but only in person!

It seems the common sense point of "You've had this for a while now" is always pushed back with "We have not had it long!"

YMMV
    Thanks!

4. I call them on the ol' telefono first & always ask for a price-drop.
    If that won't pan out I'll ask for some fresh strings in the shipment & specify EXL170BT:

[​IMG]

5. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    So then what’s the point of this post? Just to complain that you didn’t get a discount on a bass that can be found online for roughly $900 MORE than what you paid? Not following your logic here bud.

6. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
    GC is always ready to throw in strings to grease the skids or soothe an irate customer.

7. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have had some great experiences both buying used and selling gear to Guitar Center. So much of the “success” of any transactions I have had with them seem to rest with who I deal with.

Some stores and employees are helpful and reasonable while others are not. So there is a bit of lack of consistency. One guy who I have sold several things to says the policy was to pay 60-70% of what they would sell it for used, with the fluctuation being the demand for the item, condition etc. So when I would sell something to him I would always look up “comps” for the instrument and be reasonable in my ask. At another local store, the guy I would always deal with would never offer more than 50% of the used price. Fair enough. If I don’t want to sell it for the price they offer, I move along.

The only thing that has bothered me is the “other” guy that I dealt with used to justify his lower offers by looking at the “comp” prices I would show and say, “yeah, we are asking $999 for that, but we will only end up selling it for $799 so that’s what I will base my offer on.”

Again, fair enough but it doesn’t quite jibe with GC’s oft repeated policy of never discounting used stuff. It just seems kind of shady to never discount used items but then use the “we will have to discount that used item in order to sell it” as an excuse for offering less money to buy it.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  8. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    I haven't bought used from GC. But almost all of my new purchases have made with a 20% off coupon. I used to hang out there a lot and knew what I wanted. As soon as I got that coupon I would rush down to buy what I had been looking at. I have spent a lot of money there that way.

9. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    One manager wouldn’t budge. That doesn’t mean they’re all like that.

10. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    True. I got my SWR cabs sent to me for $25 each. I can’t do that well even on my company’s corporate FedEx account. Are they supposed to ship for free?

11. BJMtz

BJMtz

Oct 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    The thing that killed killed GC for me for anything other than strings was when I was shopping for a new amp. I was looking at an SVT-7Pro and they only had one in store that had been a floor model. It was dusty, dinged, and not in great condition. They would not sell it to me for any less than new in box cost and they were willing to order for me but I’d have to pay for shipping. I found that utterly ridiculous and went to Sam ash, where they were able to get me a new in box and didn’t charge me shipping.

Skullheadrac likes this.
  12. castlev

castlev

Mar 28, 2010
    New Jersey
    Since I've made purchases at Sweetwater, I've been contacted for a rep who wants me to call him for purchases, he says he can sweeten the deal. I got him to take off the internet tax (mandatory in NJ for online sales) and throw in a few speaker cables for a 5150iii full stack, saved me about $100 (they're price was the same as gc, musicans friend, reverb, ebay, etc...). On my last GC used purchase, a guy called me with the same type of situation, he wants to be my one point of contact, yada yada. I think if you work with 1 point of contact, and they get commission, they will throw deals your way. The next time I make a used purchase, I will call the GC rep and see what he can do. Honestly, if buying new gear in the future, I will ask my GC and Sweetwater rep for their best deal, and let them know, "no offense but I have to see what my other guy can do, I'll call you back in 5 minutes."

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  13. Ya, but with GC, the used item you want could be halfway around the country.

14. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    My experience, GC stores are slow as molasses at shipping used items bought online. Wait a day or two, call them and complain that they didn't ship when they said it would. I have had inflexible managers on price, give in and do free overnight shipping.

For the most part, price flexibility is hit-or-miss at best. Overall, I really enjoy shopping their used gear, and will likely be buying a used GK amp from guitar center in the near future.

15. The Deep

The Deep

Jul 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    My understanding is 60 days before they will consider a lower priced offer on used gear.

I have purchased many used gear items from GC over the years. Never paid full asking price on anything. Only paid for shipping costs twice (early on). Almost all of my purchases were made via the online market and the deal was closed over the phone. I do have a solid relationship with my local GC management staff and that has come into play periodically.

I think there are many variables involved:
    1. How long have they had the item (60 days mentioned earlier)
    2. How popular is the item (recent demand)
    3. Do you have a history of purchases from GC (a verifiable business relationship)
    4. Who is the manager? This changes from store to store and even time of day (shifts).
    5. How well developed are your negotiating/communications skills?

There are lots of knocks on GC and I won’t deny them. They deserve some of the criticisms they inspire. Honestly though, I don’t know of any other place that has such a large selection of used gear at reasonable (and mostly negotiable) prices with an extremely buyer friendly (45 day) return policy.

On the whole, GC has served me well.

timplog likes this.
  16. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I've bought basses over the years from GC Used online. I've always found them to be fair and the basses have always arrived well packed. If you call them and tell them the bass is defective, they pay for return shipping.

As a matter of fact, a bass I've been looking for showed up twice on GC for well below the cost on eBay and Reverb. And the shipping even to Alaska was reasonable. So do a bit of research on what you're buying before coming here to complain. You can really find good deals on GC if you keep your eyes open.

17. Skullheadrac

Skullheadrac

Jun 13, 2018
    So Cal
    I have the luxury of having multiple Sam Ash and Guitar Centers near me. Back when I was buying gear, I always had a much better experience with Sam Ash. I bought a used Guitar head (Marshall JCM800) and New Marshall Cab from then back when it was like buying a new car. I got it at the price I wanted. About a year after, when the big stores changed how they operated and almost closed negotiations on pricing, I bought a new American Telecaster from Sam Ash. I wasn't completely happy with the price. I then took the receipt about a week later to Guitar Center to see if they would beat the price. The manager, very smugly looked at the receipt and said, "Why would I beat that price? That's the same as our asking". Again, completely their decision and nothing wrong with it. I just don't understand the lack of effort for competition. You would think a store would want to 'steal' a $1200 sale or whatever it was back then, rather than smugly brushing it off.

18. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    Maybe my local GC is an anomaly. Like you, I have purchased a lot of gear from them. There was a period of time when they had low turnover - the clerks and even the manager were the same for a long time - and in that case, they knew me as a regular customer and would take care of me. They've had some turnover in the past 1-2 years, but they still are willing to negotiate.

A couple examples, and these are minor, but it all adds up: Went in to purchase a mic stand that was on sale. They were out of that brand/model, so the clerk gave me another that had a higher list price, for the same price the original would have been on sale. I purchased a new bass during one of their "trade in expos", where they will give you an extra 15% off a new item when you trade in old gear. I wanted a new strap and strings for the bass, and even though the 15% is supposed to be for one item only, they gave me the discount on everything.

19. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Fuquay, NC
    Bear Light Symphony, TimepeaceNC Band
    I've been given discounts and also I've been stonewalled in the past. I've had good and bad experiences when it came to customer service.

20. spvmhc

spvmhc

Apr 14, 2011
    I bought a used hollowbody guitar from GC. The price of a new guitar was $1,270; I paid 950. GC refused to budge on the price. So I got about a 25% discount. That's not inspirational but it's not bad considering:

-the guitar was in excellent condition
    -no shipping charges
    -it's an unusual guitar and there was not a great likelihood of getting another with the same finish
    -I had no inconvenience; GC shipped it well-packed to a place of business.

I know that when you bring used gear to GC to sell, the company pays about 60% of what it expects to sell it for. To me, it has been work avoiding the hassle of selling on reverb, craigslist, etc.