Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Update on my mission to get a Whamola

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    From what i have been reading you can't buy them anywhere but they said that they probably arn't hard to make. Unfortunitly i don't have any idea on how to go about making guitars so i'm thinking i'm going to try and find a picture of a Whamola stick and bring it to a music shop and ask someone if they can build me one of these. My friend is producing a show that is based around improvised jams, and i would to play something wierd like a whamola, it would definitly make for an interesting watch. Do you think this would work?? There has to be someone out there who could make me one. I also can't seem to find any pictures of this thing so if any of you could help me out i would appreciate is greatly. Thanks.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    What the hell is a "Whamola"?

3. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    a 1 string on a stick thing that Les Claypool plays. It has a lever on one end that varies the tension on the string. Les plays his by hitting it with a drumstick. There is a song using it on "Purple Onion". I have seen pictures around, but not sure I can find them. It is a homemade instrument. Looks kond of like a broomstick with a lever, pickup and 1 long bass string on it.

4. its an upright 1 string bass with a whammy bar at the top that you use to change the pitch, it is played with a drumstick, les claypool has one

5. Les does play one! He even played it at the concert I went to. It's pretty awesome.

6. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Here is a picture I found on the net:

[​IMG]

7. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    that's the picture i was looking for!

What do you think my chances are of finding someone who can make me one of these?? They sound very unique.

8. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    just make one yourself, can't be too hard :meh:

9. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    that's what people keep telling me...i have no idea how to make things like that though

10. Les didn't make that. It was given to him at 1 AM in Vermont by 2 drunk guys.

11. Les admitted to being a tad tipsy that night too.;)

12. that looks really easy to make. I also have the materials to make that...dare i try? or is it a waste of good materials?:confused:

13. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    make one and sell it too me!

14. Brains, you have PM