Update on my pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rycebag, Jan 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Rycebag

Rycebag Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    So I just bought the last piece of my pedal puzzle which is a line 6 m9. I'm trying to set up a pedalboard for the first time and I used the pedalboard planner on pedaltrains site. Trying to figure out the best way to wire this thing up so I would like to hear your opinions. Also would like to hear what you guys would think one effects order. Right now I'm thinking.... Bass > tu-2 > compressor > ibanez cs-9 > boss oc-2 > fulltone bass drive > pharaoh fuzz > line 6 m9 > Mesa boogie amp. In the picture I'm using the full drive 2 in place of the bass drive and ts9 in place of the cs9. I'm also trying to get rid of the Emma for a Seymour Duncan studio bass compressor and maybe add a ernieball vp Jr. As expression or volume pedal for m9 in the future. Also want to hear your opinion on have I have the board set up. It's a novo 18!

Attached Files:

2. I would suggest moving the CS9 (one of my fave chorus fx) to right before the M9. Try one of the fuzz pedals before and one after the OC2, always liked an octaver both ways.

3. What bassbrad said.

Even better is just to play it in different orders. If your patch cables are long enough you don't need to move the pedals about just swap the cables.

With pedal placement think of how you use the pedals. For example I used to play guitar and a lot of metal and I would often have chorus on my clean sound, and a distortion pedal for the dirty sound. I always made sure those two pedals were next to each other so I could hit them both at once for smooooooth transitions.

4. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    Out of all of them the line 6 would have to be in the front for sure! The compressor and tuner can stay in the back. Compressor is pretty much always on. It's a bummer because I just made a bunch of short patch cables, about 6 inches each with some left over canare gs6 cables I had and switch craft ends so I'm thinking I'm gonna have to buy a bunch more

5. I just ordered a pair of these flat cables because my Boss BCB-30 has the pedals too close to each other for normal plugs... would be great on a pedal board too to keep things closer, if that's necessary.

Your board layout looks useful as far as the photo you uploaded, assuming the Tube Screamer and Octaver are your main pedals, and if the ones at the back are easy to hit. I have the Pedal Train Metro 16 which fits standard size pedals one row the right way, and the back row perpendicular which is fine but requires some dainty stomping ;)

For bass I have a tuner, compressor (usually always on) and a distortion, all by Boss, so simple in their 30way board/case ;) Much simpler than your plans.

6. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    The tubescreamer (which is actually supposed to be a cs-9, they just didn't have it) and boss oc-2 are not my main pedals. Maybe I should put the fulltone in the front and those in the back. I just think making the cable run from the fulltone to pharaoh fuzz would be a really long one from front to back then to the m9. So like this

image.png

7. Doesn't matter it'll be tucked under the pedal board.

As long as you have a buffered pedal in there it'll all be cool in terms of signal strength through long wires (I suspect the line 6 will be and the boss tuner is).

Plus you can make your own cables any length ;)

8. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    Well actually I think the long runs would be from the oc-2 to the fulltone then to the pharaoh and then line 6. I think out of all of those the oc-2 is buffered?

9. All boss pedals are buffered. And long runs means several feet, not a few inches, and refers to the entire length of cable from guitar to amp rather than individual cables. I reckon you'll be alright ;)

Rycebag likes this.
  10. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    [​IMG]

my comment, the one i circled red... make sure to get low profile patch cable so that they fit between the pedals:
    I make a mistake of buying these type of cables and it takes up quite a lot of space:
    my recommendation is to get something that is more low profile like the EBS or Hosa Pancake, i recommend the EBS just because it is the smallest of them all,
    you can take a look at the thread here for the size comparison:
    New EBS flat cables
    [​IMG]

For the one i circled blue, that space will be quite tight if you are using a straight head guitar cable from M9 to your amp...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    adamaarts likes this.
  11. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    I was thinking of getting these ends

Switchcraft 228 1 4 Right Angle Flat Male Connector Solder Lug Terminal Nickel Plated Steel | Full Compass

12. Those will do it if you're making your own cables

13. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    yes it will fit, just for your reference here are some sizes for you to take note of (credit to smeet):
    The Switchcraft should be of the same size as the GLS

EBS: 0.3125" x 1.1875" x 0.5"
    GLS pancake: 0.425" x 1.375" x 0.8125"
    Neutrik: 0.5625" x 1.6875" x 0.5"
    PlanetWaves: 0.875" x 2.125" x 0.5"

some pic for your visualization,
    ebs_plug1-jpeg.jpg
    ebs_plug2-jpg.jpg

14. I got my EBS patch cables today, and here's how they compare to the Fender Custom shop cables in the real world

These are in a Boss BCB-30, which has a spot for three Boss pedals. The Fender cables (which have similar sized plugs to 99% of cables out there) meant that the pedals didn't quite fit in their slots properly. No problems now.:

EBS1.jpg EBS2.jpg EBS3.jpg

crguti likes this.
  15. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    nice. do you guys think the way I have the board laid out is the best route? also can a voodoo lab PP2+ power the M9? I want to have all the cabling clean under the board.

16. Board setup is entirely up to you. I put my most used pedals closest to me and lesser used ones at the back. Pedal order can be arranged as I said with cables in any order.

Power supplies you need to add up the mA draw of all your pedals and see if that's less than the output of the supply. I use a boss PSA which has only 200mA of power but most pedals are closer to 10mA. It's in the pedals' manuals if you need to check.

Male sure whatever power supply you use the cables have small right angle plugs or it will take up far too much space.

17. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    yeah the voodoo lab has a bunch of right angle cables and it also has a cable for line 6 modelers but im not sure about it working with the m9

18. From what I can read the m9 draws 2000mA and the largest output on the pp2+ is 250mA (says for line 6 pedals but not the big ones like m9) so looks like you'll need to use its own power supply or get something much bigger.

19. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    There's a AC outlet on the back of the voodoo lab. I wonder if the m9 power supply can be powered by that?

20. It says somewhere (I think the voodoo labs forum) that you can use it that way. You still have to put the M9 supply into the pp2.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021