Update on the Kid/Grenade Story

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FL Knifemaker, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Thanks for posting that, I was actually thinking about this kid a couple of days ago! Yeah he is very very lucky, whew!

2. brilliant. Stuff a grenade (probably a fake one) with fireworks grade black powder, and let you kid play with it. how dumb.

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    There was a little more to it than that.... still dumb though

4. I guess I missed the first thread / story

5. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    No worries, it was actually a pretty interesting discussion. Everyone was sort of trying to figure just who's stupidity caused this...

I just dug down deeper into this story and found this, it may shed some light on who is the biggest dumb-arse in this story:

The sheriff's office says Weise's mother, Ann Marie Weise, bought at least one inert grenade from an auction on Highway 98 in Lakeland about two years ago.

Detectives say that last July, Weise and his father, 42-year-old Edward Weise, II, had removed black powder from firecrackers and placed the powder into the grenade.

They also installed a wick in the grenade for detonation, but when they tried to detonate the grenade at the time, the device didn't explode.

It was then placed into a large flower pot on the top shelf of an entertainment center located in the living room.

"Moments before the explosion, Ann Marie Weise saw her son with a metal lighter and told him to put the lighter back where he found it," the sheriff's office said. "Seconds later, the grenade exploded."

EDIT - I just watched a brief interview with the parents, in that interview the mom said that there was a lit candle on the table and they also had the over going and it must have been the oven or candle that set it off..... interesting how teh story is changing..

6. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    This is truly an amazing display of stupidity on the parents part. :rollno:

7. As I mentioned in the other thread, we could buy those empty WWII grenades at the army-navy store. No one ever did a dumbass thing like trying to reload them. We just threw them at each other while playing army. That caused enough pain :ninja:

8. so basically what I said was true...

9. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Yep. There was a lot of speculation before about how this could happen but in light of the updates that they provided, I would say that you're 100% dead on right.

10. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    My kids actually have one or two along with a fake German potato-masher grenade. As a parent, I would NEVER ever dream of filling them with gunpowder and setting them off. The fact that this dad did, would seem to me that he doesn't know the first thing about gunpowder. I mean, even if he was after a big boom, apparently the idiot didn't hear much about fragmentation?

11. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel

Apr 19, 2009
    Excusing every other piece of stupidity in the story, one thing really stands out. Why in the hell would you take an old grenade and stuff it full of black powder from firecrackers? That's the thing that really gets me.

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm sorry but in my household, I do/did not ever allow weapons of any kind including toy guns or toy weapons! My son has never owned any such toy let alone a real, albeit unloaded, grenade! Stupid arse parents! I caught my son with a pocket knife once and I went ballistic and beat his natural ass for having it!

13. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Good books? Yes. Grenades? No.

14. "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

But, frankly, this is a bit TOO stupid.

15. You're kidding right, you beat down your kid over a pocket knife? :eyebrow:
    And they are called firearms, not weapons.:scowl:
    Many things can be used as a weapon... a baseball bat, a microphone stand, a stick, a rock. And yes unfortunately sometimes a firearm is used as a weapon.

16. This gets back to the gene pool at the north end of Lakeland Florida. Someone doing something that dumb is no suprise. At least this didn't involve someone teasing aligators or stealing police cars.

17. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    +1
    Yeah, I'm pretty much never one to criticize because the way I see it is that parents all have different parenting styles, and what works for one may not for another. That said, beating your kid down for a "weapon" / aka pocket knife is chock full of irony to me.

My son has a friend whose parents share those beliefs. Nice kid, great parents, but I still roll my eyes at the fact that two summers ago, they all had a gigantic super-soaker water pistol fight and this kid was running around with a squirting Cape Cod lighthouse trying to play army. Irony again..

18. Wow :eek: I'm sure he'll remember that. Always :confused: :(

19. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    I thought you would catch that. :D

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021