1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

**UPDATE** picking hand cramps

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by eupharies, Jan 15, 2012.

1. eupharies

eupharies

Jul 3, 2007
    Leeds UK
    Bassist - Chasing Dragons
    I wanted to do a little update in regards to my picking handcramps!

I had alot of suggestions in regards to technique, grip strength and pick type!

So i went out and bought a variety of picks, and though i would give my opinion on them incase anyone else has the same problem.

Note - i have always played with a tortex fin 0.88.

I played the same song with every pick with about 15 seconds rest in between.

dunlop gator grip 2.0mm - Great pick, did not suffer any cramp(good grip)

dunlop nylon standard 1.5mm - another great pick, no issues ( slightly textured so grip is nice)

tortex fin 1.14mm - Minor issues

dunlop gator grip 1.5mm - good pick, no isses

ibanez rubber grip 1.20mm - FANTASTIC pick, you can really relax your grip without fear on this, id love them to do a slightly thicker one.

torext fin 0.50mm - I thought i would suffer alot with this pick but infact, no issues, enjoyable playing with a ligh pick infact,

dunlop jazz 2 red - Weird at 1st as im used to having a bigger grip surface, and pick surface, really good pick when you get used to it.

big stubby 2.0mm - Brilliant grip, excellent pick!

gatorgip 0.58mm - Again very thin but no issues,

Dunlop max grip 1.14 - no issues, good grip.

I have found that, the more grip a pick has you naturally hold it less tight, it seems from me i either need something above 1.5mm or less than 0.60mm, i seem to suffer in between that range.

I will add, i consciously held the pick lighter, and i played a tiny bit higher on the strings opposed to right at the bridge as normal but :-

I played for pretty much 30 minutes straight, normally i got cramp at around 15 minutes.

Therefore i highly recommend somewhere in between the carole kay method and the bridge string wise, get a pick WITH GRIP, it makes one hell of a difference!

Consciously think about holding the grip lighter.!

Also the tortex fin has quite a broad picking surface that hits the strings, as well as a broad surface you grip..... I THINK this my add to the cramp as you are more in contact with the pick and strings ( altho ud think it would be opposite, bigger surface area less vibration etc.

Thats my 2 cents, i hope you find this useful anyone who suffers from cramp :)