Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Update pics of new bass in progress

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Apr 20, 2002.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    My fretless 8 string Curbow is nearing completion!

The burled elm is looking really cool. It's going to have a slight amber tint and a grain enhancer added under a satin finish. And, the one piece mahogany back has a cool wave running through it.

Neck is quartersawn rockwood lite with a rockwood fretboard. The fretboard will have about 27 frets, and run right up to the end of the neck pickup.

Bartolini quad coil pickups, 3 position switch for each.
    Unfortunately, the full body shots didn't turn out too well, so I've only got some close ups.

This:
    [​IMG]

has become this:

[​IMG]

2. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Here is a close up of the carved top. I love how it flows around the controls and the bridge.

[​IMG]

3. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    It's hard to tell, but the upper horn is not only burled, but it also has a nice flame to it.

[​IMG]

This is a pic of how the top will look when it's finished. This is actually from the same piece of burled elm as my top.

[​IMG]

4. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Here is a pic of the mahogany back. The neck joint is extremely comfortable on these basses.

[​IMG]

If everything continues to run smoothly, the bass should be ready for the May 11th get together in Atlanta. My Fralin Jazz pickups arrived at his shop (for my JRetro'd USA 75 RI Jazz bass--that thread when they are installed ;) ) when I was on the phone with him, so I'm taking that as a good sign. :D

5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Looks like your getting yourslef one nice baby! The body is really smooth but i dont really like the finish. It looks kinda, plain to me IMO of corse. Anyway have fun with her when she is done and keep us posted!

6. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, the burled elm is a little more subtle than most of the crazy tops that everyone has been showing on TB recently. Although, there is still plenty of figure. Here's a better shot of what the top will look like when it's finished:

[​IMG]

7. I love looking at "in-progress" pics from a great luthier. You can see pride and skill in the attention to detail.

You're gonna have a great instrument!

Keep us updated.

Jeff

8. Whoa, it's coming along nicely! I just love Greg's carved tops. And the work looks flawless, as usual. Too bad you couldn't get a better overall shot of the body, though--I'm dying to get a good look at that new shape!

Mike

PS: Is it my imagination, or is he making the backs on carved bodies a little thinner than he used to?

9. SpeeDFX

SpeeDFX

Apr 14, 2002
    Do you plan on selling that? I was wondering..I see all those custom basses sell for $2k+. If you wanted to sell that guitar after you finished it, what would the asking price be? (I'm not asking...I'm as broke as a balsa wood bass guitar during neck adjustment)

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    He's not building it, nor is he selling it (hopefully!). He's having it built for him by a luthier named Greg Curbow. He gave Curbow the specs and payments, and Curbow was building it for him and sending him (very well taken) pics. I don't think he's building any of it himself! :)

11. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Angus is right. I'm neither building, nor selling it. I'm just waiting anxiously to play it!

As for the price, all I can say is that I am getting a very good deal (it's my 4th Curbow), and Greg and I have worked out a couple of deals, so I really couldn't even tell you exactly what I am paying for it, anyway. If you are interested in one, you can always call Greg at 706-374-2873, and he can give you a quote.

Mike--I don't think the back is any thinner than they normally are. I think you are referring to the pic of the bass from the side. I thought the same thing, but I believe it has more to do with the hardware and pickups being absent than the actual bass being thinner. But, I'll let you know for sure when I get it. The bass won't have a brass tone block, so may be it is a little thinner, I dunno.

Between this bass, and the DB750 I am putting a deposit on tomorrow, I should be in gear heaven in the very near future. At this point, it's just a waiting game.

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    WOW!!! Very nice. I can't wait to see it completed.

13. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That makes two of us, Nino...

14. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    *cartman voice on*
    KICK ASS.. Congrats on the curbow =D its so shweeeeeet!
    *cartman voice off*

15. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Both the work and the wood look like first class!!!!!!..... but I don´t like Curbow´s shape, kinda ugly, to me of course..... enjoy your new baby

As Jeff said, "I love looking at "in-progress" pics from a great luthier".

16. Hmmm.. I have to agree with bassmonkeee's initial impression of it..looks kinda like raw chicken.. :D
    I look forward to playing it!

17. Note to self: Do not let Jason and Dave help pick out the woods for my bass...

Mike

18. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh. I was just about to email you. Curbow told me about this great wood he has for a top. I think he said it was called Chipboard. ...:D

19. As long as it's "stabilized" (with lots of glue?), that'd probably work...from 3 feet away, it'd look like a lot of the burl I've seen. :)

Seriously, those photos have got me motivated to give him a call tomorrow and see if he's in the mood to start working out a few details.

Mike