UPDATE Trace/Accugroove/Bergantino information wanted

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigMikeW, Jul 23, 2005.

1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

Never played a Trace but I am going to be building out a new rig in the next 6 months.

I would love more information on the tone of the Trace amps and how they compare to other highend heads and pres.

GP12SMX pre looks interesting. As doe sthe V8 and the Quatra and Hexa Valves. Found a Quatra yesterday.

Also, from those who have them and have used them with Bergantino and/or Accugroove cabs.

Anyway, looking for more information.
  2. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    I played them although I never owned one - Trace Elliot. Not really the sound i am looking for. But I played the bergantiono's and they are great. And I tried the Accugroove Whoopo Jr. and I had a gas attack and bought it. :hyper: Its the best I played next to the berg's which I almost bought also. To me they are the top brands. I also heard bergantiono use to make the epifani's. He has a great company and i respect his emails of information and his amps are a reflection of that. The accugroove was alittle bit more to what I am looking for. Before i buy anything if I were you I would try the bergs and accugroove products last. Bring your credit card or cash. Alot of it cause you will buy one.
  3. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Go listen to Mellencamps version of "Wild Nights.

With my Series 6 T.E. and PJ5 I can get all over that tone with a moderatly voiced box like you're looking at.

Thats a SS front end. I don't know how that would translate into the Tube front T.E.'s
  4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Sorry to take so long to reply BigMikeW, I just read your PM. To quote you:
    SMX or the Valve series heads fit that definition to a "T". The Series 6 heads are just a little more hi-fi than the SMX and Valve series. The "V" series heads are more to the warmer classic tube sound (similar to the old Ampeg SVT in someways) from the one I played on.

I personally can't say how to compare the Trace sound to others amps. :meh: Trace appears more mid frequency biased but still has nice high and lowends. I can say its hi-fi but not like SWR. Its very clear and punchy yet has a warmth thats hard to describe. Its not tube but different from an other SS amp I have ever played. Its a very full sound without being muddy.

For what its worth, I play classic rock, punk, and about any genre of metal. I have even done a little blues and bluegrass on ocassion. To get a better idea of the Trace sound, listen to artist that used them over the years.

Tony Levin (King Crimson, Peter Gabriel, David Bowie)
    Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)
    John Entwistle (The Who)
    Doug Wimbish (Living Colour, Madonna)
    Bill Wyman (The Rolling Stones)
  5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Awhile back I borrowed a GP12SMX and used it with my Berg HT210/HT115 cab setup. I didn't have do any EQ tweaking plus I didn't want to mess with the owner's settings. The tone he had already dialed in really cut through.

Like Kelly Lee posted, it had a nice mid/low mid punch. :cool:

It also didn't lack lows or highs. I was very impressed with it's tone.

- Art