1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

update YBA200 vs. Bassman 135

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Apr 9, 2006.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I got the YBA200 in a few days a go, and have played it at two shows, and one practice. When I received it from UPS I right away hooked it up to my CXL112's, and it sounded pretty good. Very wide array of tones available from this head. Then I plugged in my Bassman 135....well needless to say you can't get a vintage tube tone out of a new tube head:p There is just something that the Bassman has that no other amp can recreate. The Bassman sounds very smooth, and round, but doesn't cut as well as the YBA200. Also I thought the Bassman overdrives, but after using the YBA200 I see that the BAssman 135 doesn't OD ever when the gain is set at 10, and the volume set at 8. All in all I love both heads for how they sound, but I'm going to sell the Bassman 135 to rise money for this summer's tour:spit:

2. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    "The Bassman sounds very smooth, and round, but doesn't cut as well as the YBA200"

Could that be due to newer tubes in the YBA? New tubes tend to sound harsher at first. Also, I find the YBA200 to be very upper mid/high focused if you want them to be... so they can cut like crazy... and I love it.

Don't sell the fender if you can avoid it. You may regret it. Work, beg, borrow, steal if you can. They will only get more $$$ and rare over time.

Also, this may be a down the road thing for you... but I put JJ's in the preamp and JJ KT88's in the power section and I love it. Tighter bottom and more mids... all in all a more smooth frequency responce. Very much worth the $$$

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I plan in doing the tube upgrades when I have the money..which JJ preamp tubes did you put in?