1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Updated a MTD Heir

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Interceptor, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I picked up a MTD Kingston Heir four string about six months ago. It is now my only bass - I like it that much! It had one problem; the single coil Jazz pickup was a noise producer. No shocker, its the way things are with any single coil.

I recently installed a pair of Bartolini pick ups in the Heir, a 9CBJD-S1 in the neck position and a MM4CBC in the bridge. The installation was no hassle, just had to sacrifice an old mouse pad as shim material.

I did this to get rid of the hum, and figured there might be some tone improvement, but I really didn't expect much tone change, as the original pickups were a Korean built Bartolini design. I was wrong. With the original configuration, I found a great tone with the neck full on, and the MM at 50%, and no other combination was worthwhile. I was happy with the tone in that one configuration. With the new pickups, there are a number of useful tones I never imagined this bass had. The MM solo now has a killer Stingray tone. I mean KILLER. The J solo is thicker yet more responsive than the stocker, and it solo is a very fitting traditional Fender tone that sounds more like a good P than anything J like. Both pickups together, the tone is a very full yet clear modern tone. What a gas to have such high quality tone choices from one bass!

With the addition of these pickups, the MTD has been transformed into something very special. Next steps at camp Interceptor - drilling a hole or two into it for parallel / series switching and to get single coil mode out of the MM. And perhaps a preamp. Much to my enjoyment - the Heir IS a worthy platform for hotrodding.

2. lowfreqman

lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    Good to hear!

I had the same experience modding my Z5 with a new preamp and pickups. The Korean MTDs have great playability and looks, but the electronics are somewhat lacking. A few mods make these basses truly worthy.

3. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I have a Kingston Heir 5. definitely a bass worth modding. Considering dropping Nordstrands in and using a series/parallel switch. I am getting a heavy duty bridge put on this week. (Hope I don't try to sell it to pay for new GAS)