1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Updated "Bass Cart"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BBMS, Mar 21, 2006.

1. BBMS

BBMS

Jun 29, 2005
    Most of you may recall my attempts to make a portable bass guitar cart that can be useable outdoors in a high school marching band. My original cart used a Trace Elliot 4x12 cabinet with a BBE BMax into a QSC amp. We also use an AKG wireless (Airbud?) system. My second cart uses the same BBE/QSC1450, but I have split the signal from the BBE into a Rolls crossover, then one channel of the QSC powers a Fitzmaurice Omni10, and the other side powers a Fitzmaurice Tuba24. I was able to test the system today, and it rocks! Literally shaking everything around it. I will test it outdoors soon. Here's a photo:

2. that looks funk-tastic.

how are you supposed to get power to it out doors in the middle of a football field?

3. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    At Yuma High School I marched in parades with a '68 reissue Fender J and a Peavey TNT 180. It was on a three-wheeled cart, pushed by a flag girl, and powered by a car battery through an inverter. Worked out great until my junior year when we had enough tuba players for a tuba section.

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    In 1979, I joined my high school marching band, on electric bass. Pretty much the same sort of thing. A big cart pulled by two other kids. Traynor 88 Watt bass head and 18" folded horn. Car battery and inverter.

I refused to play in the rain, which meant that I went on the field exactly once. Then, my marching band obligation over and done with (it got me out of sophomore gym class), I ditched it.

5. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I did the same thing, when I did marching band old fender 115 keyboard amp car battery and a converter. On a 3 wheel cart.

6. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I've heard marine batteries are better suited for this type of application (whereas car batteries are better for huge current discharge over a short period). Anyone?

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Probably true. You will also notice that I spent a fair amount of battery juice on running the heaters of those 6CA7 tubes. Battery operation is probably a good use for a switching amplifier.

8. BBMS

BBMS

Jun 29, 2005
    The cart is powered by an all-in-one rechargeable 1500 watt invertor on wheels (deep cycle battery probably). It worked great last year. Never a problem. Rain was a concern, and we packed a cover, plus the wireless system was there as a precaution, too.