Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Updated Group Shot

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Jan 25, 2003.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Now that my 6 String Acoustic is here, I figured it was time for a new group shot. It's a little darker than I'd like, so I'll have to do a new one soon, but it'll give you an idea.

[​IMG]

Top row: 6 string fretless US Curbow Petite, 6 string fretted Athlete AX-6 acoustic, DeArmond Ashbory bass, 8 string fretless (doubled) US Curbow prototype.

Bottom row: Modified US 75 Fender Jazz Reissue (JRetro and overwound Fralin single coil pickups), 4 string fretless Curbow (ca 1989), 5 string fretted US Curbow Int'l Petite w/Roland GK-2 pickup.

All are currently strung with TI strings (various) with the exception of the acoustic, which is simply waiting for a set of TI Acousticores.

There are only two basses left that I want--one is an old PBass, and the other is my last Curbow--a 6 string fretless with Lightwaves! After that, I'm done--really! Thanks for letting me share.

2. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I went with the octave strings on the treble side because I primarily use my fingers when I play. This way I can hit the octave string first. Greg also put the spacing wide enough that I could play each set of strings independently. So, if I want to play the 'G' pair, and also the 'D' octave, I get a nice root-5-octave chord with one finger this way. I'm surprised more people don't go with this configuration, honestly.

Thanks, the ABG is a lot of fun so far, and I've never owned anything quite like it, so it's nice to add a new voice to my options.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm thinking to myself, "HOW THE HECK CAN HE SEE THAT FROM THAT PIC?!?!?:confused:"

Then I look @ the tuning machines. LOL :eek: :D

Nice collection you have there!!!!

4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    wow!

blows my family away!

its family pic time at TB!

:cool:

f

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Nice group! That poor Ashbory's hiding in the back, though! Has it got some insecurities around all those 6s and the 8?

6. aleyman

aleyman Guest

Nov 1, 2002
    PA
    thats a fancy picture there. BTW, how is that fender? I know most people go for their fancy artsy basses, but i like my fenders:D

7. How is the volume on it? Loud enough to play without amplification with an acoustic guitar? Also, how's the B string, what's the scale length, and how much does something like that set you back if you don'tmind me asking? You have some extremely nice looking basses by the way.

8. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    hey bassmonkee, that pic looks great, except that Fender looks a little outa place... so go ahead and email me, and I will get you my snail mail, just go ahead and ship it to me, it will look great (and feel better) next to my geddy lee! :D

P@

9. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Sorry, PM, I need the Jazz to "Keep It Real." You know, I can't forget my roots when I'm playing Iranian Folk Music on the 8 string fretless. If I got rid of the Jazz, I'd drift off into my own private thoughts, start wearing funny hats, etc. It's like a safety net. :D

Besides, I've got so much money in it from the Fralins, JRetro, neck shaving, and new pickguard, that I'd never be able to recoup my investment. That, and the fact that it's the most amazing Jazz bass I've ever played mean you ain't getting it. :p

10. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Here's a thread I started on the ABG. I think it answers most of your questions.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=72740

11. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    It's not hiding out of insecurity--it's just not demanding the spotlight. It knows it's place, and actually gets more gig time than some of the other basses. It likes to hang in the back, waiting for someone to mock it's small size just so it can amaze them with its huge tone.:D

12. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I don't know about that. I covet at least two of your basses, so you must be doing something right.:D

13. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That's why we love you, Nino--your keen sense of observation. That has to help when you navigate the NYC Metro system. ;)

14. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    the Ashbory looks sad in the back.

15. That ABG is like, "I am king of the jungle! Let there be women and beef jerky for all my men!" :D
    I'm hopin' to make it over there later today to check that thing out for myself.

16. aleyman

aleyman Guest

Nov 1, 2002
    PA
    :D i was just thinking that:D

17. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, now that you mention it, it does kinda remind me of Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now...:D

"I wanted a 6 string acoustic bass guitar, and for my sins, they gave me one." :eek:

18. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO

:( :(

you were supposed to be my friend....

:D

P@

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh heh heh :) so it is. :D

nice pic jason.

20. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I've got a geddy lee, a skyline JO5, and another warmoth project body on the way! I got a thing about jazz basses...

hmmm.... you might be onto something there!

:D

P@