updated pics

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JSPguitars, Jul 20, 2004.

1. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Did some oiling on my first bass last weekend, thought I'd post some pics. Can't wait to string this thing up. This is my first complete instrument from scratch, with a neck that actually looks good, feels good, and works properly (knock on wood). the back headstock veneer looks like SH*T, however. I also didn't do any inlays on the headstock, or the fretboard (not too sure how to cut pearl yet).
    mahogany body.
    Black korina neck w/rosewood fretboard/w maple veneer fret lines--fretless
    European flame maple headstock veneer.
    Bartolini MM pickup (not sure what kinda controls to do yet)
    will have a
    hipshot style A bridge (black)
    grover tuners (black)

Anyone have suggestions for strings to use?? I'm primarily a guitar player and dont have much knowledge of bass strings.
    Also, anyone recommend what kind of controls to put on the MM pickup?? I was thinking just yur basic vol. and tone, but I'm open to suggestions.
  2. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    here's one more pic and a picture of my next body in this sort of design.....dont think this one's gonna be as elaborately contoured though. :D
  3. I love that upper horn, totally awesome. Congrats on almost having it finished!
  4. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    by the way............that's not MY beemer in the background!
  5. thats insane i love the shape can i have one?? just wanted to say wicked job
  6. That's either one big bass, or one small car.
  7. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    wow, that's gorgeous.
    Congrats on a great job so far.
  8. The bass being hung and the picture taken at that angle does look like the bass is sitting on the ground...
  9. Probably just as well. I'd take your bass over a BMW any day of the week.

Now, be honest - was that shape a totally "planned" thing or did it "evolve" as the project was coming together? I know in my projects, I really don't have all of the details decided when I start. As I go along, something about the building process guides me to those choices. I rather enjoy that process rather than agonizing over hardware choices and the like.
  10. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I absolutely LOVE that shape!
    Do you have any previous wood working experience before this bass? I mean, those curves must have taken forever to cut, carve and sand!

Jon :hyper:
  11. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Hehe......the bass is hung up, but I did notice that it kinda looks like it's standing on the ground......but it's not. I just have superb photography/optical illusion skills.............NOT!

I made a template for the outside shape, but all the contours just kinda happened and evolved that way. I wanted to try my hand at some kind of LeFay contouring on the back, and the upper horn kinda turned out like the Ritter Okon.....at first I didnt mean to take out that much wood, but the more I carved and sanded it just kept happening......This thing took forever to sand.....and I dont think I even sanded enough!! THe cabinet scrapers came in very handy! But some spots in the wood and the grain are still a little rough. I'm hoping that with some more coats of sanding oil in, they might shape up a bit.
    I really have no prior woodworking experience. I was too busy playin' sports in high school to take shop class. I can honestly say I've learned everything on-line!! From all of you guys!! Lookin' at pictures, using my imagination, reading forums........there's so much information on the web, you just gotta know how to look for it.
    Thanks to everyone.
  12. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    one more thing......I forgot to cut out the control plate before I contoured the back!!! DOH!.....not sure how I'm gonna route for the plate, then contour the plate to match.
    Anyone have any suggestions??
  13. choo5

Apr 15, 2004
    sydney, australia
    ... wow that first bass looks swanky! phwoar very very nice :smug:
  14. That body is wacky.... congrates, excellent job. Can't wait to see the finished product.