1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Updated Southampton Fifth Gear

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Noylin, Aug 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    how much for that new fuzz?

2. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    The Boosted Fuzz or the Imposter?

3. DirtyDuke

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    The Imposter

4. Woony90

Woony90

Feb 6, 2017
    KakaoTalk_20170313_191718761.
    I just received my fifth gear and it's amazing!!

Funny stroy: some how I could place the order when Hamish had 0 stocks in Paypal inventory because he was on tour and he was waiting for the new enclosures to arrive for taller version. He emailed me that my order was only possible by mistake and I had to wait few more days and it's gonna be taller than previous batch. I said totally okay but I asked him if the serial number would start from scratch since hes starting on new enclosure.(haha I know Im greedy but everyone wants a special one!) He said that he's going to keep the serial number continuous, and I said no big deal.

ANNNND...!!!! Look what I have In the back of the cover!!! He prob just added this line and is not something that's going to be written regularly onward but he put special writing saying "#1 Tall BOX FG" and signed it!! just to make me feel happier! awesome guy!!
    ZakaoTalk_20170313_191715881.

btw the tone out of this thing certainly make it deserve to be called "secret weapon"

bass08053, cataract, mrwood4 and 12 others like this.
  5. SouthamptonPdls

SouthamptonPdls Commercial User

Nov 23, 2014
    owner of Southampton Pedals
    Awesome! I'm really glad you opened it up - I was going to email you about the inscription but thought on the off-chance you were a "gutshot" guy, the surprise would be better this way.

Enjoy!

6. the_Ryan

the_Ryan

Jul 10, 2015
    Ithaca/Seattle
    @SouthamptonPdls did you change the enclosures to 125b? The new pedals look taller.

DirtyDuke likes this.
  7. Woony90

Woony90

Feb 6, 2017
    According to his website the new enclosure is 1590BS
    Fifth Gear

nshuman likes this.
  8. SouthamptonPdls

Nov 23, 2014
    Yeah we went to the taller 1590BS. With top mount jacks the 1590B is a tight fit, and I know some of the power jacks were pretty tight to hook up, and you had to really push to get the 9V plug into the pedal. This new arrangement gives a lot more room, even though it's only 1/4" taller. Same footprint. The height now is the same as most pedals with a larger footprint (e.g. our Ictineo, Empress Reverb, a lot of the EQD stuff).

9. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp

The 1590BS is really cool. Nice work.

10. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    @SouthamptonPdls What's the power consumption of Fifth Gear? I imagine it's very low. I just started looking up all my pedals' consumption.

11. DirtyDuke

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Less than 20ma.

12. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    Kool-aid drank.......just ordered

13. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I received a V2 today. I really like it. It's much more subtle and mellow than I expected.

IMG_8117.JPG IMG_8118.JPG

14. Grooveline

Grooveline

Jan 24, 2012
    These gut shot and back plate photos had me curious so I just opened mine up. Seems like the signature of mine is somebody by by the initials PD or PO perhaps? It's dated 2016-10-17 and has no sn: or the words serial number on it but does have a single slash on it like a 1 that looks like an l. The guts of the pedal has a purple board dated July 20, 2016 and light blue rubber on the back of the potentiometers that really contrast the yellow nicely. Has me wondering if its v2 pedal 1?

SouthamptonPdls likes this.
  15. SouthamptonPdls

Nov 23, 2014
    That's a V2. If it's not built by me the only other person who assembles is Brian, our pseudo employee. He puts together most of the PCBs and helps me box up enclosures if we're swamped. There are about 4 different versions of the PCBs floating around right now as we refine the design and have fun with colours.

Hope that helps!

blindrabbit and vivaknoxvegas like this.
  16. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    Canada post tracking sucks.....

17. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Once it enters the US, you need to enter the tracking number on the USPS website. Same with any national postal service. As soon as it crosses a border, the target country becomes the service tracking it. Canadapost will only get updated for major milestones like delivery or some sort of exception.

18. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    Awesome! Thank you. Should be here tomorrow :D

DirtyDuke and nshuman like this.
  19. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    Are you guys running these pre or post compression? Mine is out for delivery :)

20. DirtyDuke

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    I usually don't use compression with dirt. But If I do I have it before

BrentSimons and allenhumble like this.