1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

updating an old bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by seymourfuzz, Jul 2, 2014.

1. seymourfuzz

seymourfuzz

Jul 2, 2014
    hello everyone,
    I was given an old memphis bass a while back and have pulled it out of the closet and decided to finally refinish it. Now I am looking to sand it down and redo everything seeing how all i have is a body and neck. But I'm looking to find out info and advice on which pots to buy and which pick ups i should also get. Also should i use a specific kind of solder for this job as well? I have never done any electronic repair on any of my bases but i have a few that need updated and figured this would be a good starting point. Now this bas resembles a fender P-bass and is still being sanded but I'm looking to get all the pieces sooner than later.

Now i know the pick ups depend on my style and sound and I'm a jazz style bassist but i play in hard rock and post hardcore style bands. I like good low end but a lot of attack in my highs. I like to stand out and hold my own from the guitarists even when following them. I currently have and sr505 which i like the bass but the spound is a little warm for me at times. The sterling sub 5 by music man i have has a great sound and i love those double hum buckers kick. I would like to keep it passive and use this mainly on the side for personal use and not gigging. Want this bass to be strictly for slap and fingers with no picks allowed. (i do use a pick on my other basses depending on the band and tone I'm looking for.)

Please help me make a great bass out of an old forgotten beauty.

to recap my questions:

1. What kind of pots should i use?
    2. What pickups do you recommend? (passive)
    3. Do i need a specific type of solder for the job? IMAG0721.