1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Updating F-1X for Dual Switchable Inputs..?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DennyOnBass, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Has anybody ever modified an Alembic F-1X to have two switchable inputs instead of the "active & passive" setup?

I don't deal well with extra stuff in my signal chain, regardless of true bypass, etc. I dislike stompboxes and really don't want to add anything else to my rack or have to worry about bringing extra gear. I have a gig where I'm doubling on electric bass and EUB, so I have a need to run two basses.

So, in theory this seems like an easy modification. My preamp is long out of warranty, so no worries there. Any tone suck issues? I'm no electrical wizard, but I can handle a soldering iron and think I can probably do this myself. What would be the best way to go about this?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    As long as you use a good-quality switch and don't connect the wires to anything "new" or extraneous to the circuit, there will be no potential for tone suck. You'll want to deal with the resistor or other components involved in padding the "active" input, either by removing them or by deciding that you like the active input for one of your instruments.

The switch is simple- the inputs share a common ground, so all you need to switch is the "hot" connector (tip of the jack) from one to the other.