1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Upgrade? Ax Change?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by beam, Jun 23, 2003.

1. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    Well, Rondo Music has this new P/J bass on their website.

Anyway, was thinking of getting one of these and changing the pickups and the brdige. Going for a Powerful P, and a nice J growl to accentuate it, read tons of reviews and most people say the Duncan Quarter-Pound set is an excellent buy. Though i wouldn't mind the vintage tone of the Antiquity II set either, anyone know if its hum cancelling, or had any experience with the? And probably throw a Badass II bridge on there. And some new knobs

On the whole it will run me about $300 or so, with all the shipping and installations and hardware upgrades.

The kicker is, I would sell my T-40 to supplement the cost. I've been playing some P/J's recently through amps comprable to mine, and the T-40 just doesnt get that P "thump" I like.

Im basically asking for your opinions on if you think this is a wise move or not. Or if you suggest any other pup combos or bridges, or upgrade options.

Also, How hard is it to install a new nut on a neck? The nut on this thing is plastic, so I was thinking about going with a graphite one. I'd pay to have it put on at a music store, just curious what about it shoudl run me.

Also, the P/J is much ****ing lighter than the T-40(by about 4.5lbs).

2. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    you can get a japanese fender p-bass used for that price, and will end up with a better instrument. those basses have good reviews, but have'nt been around long enuff to see if they will last like a fnnder.with basses you get what you pay for,i learned this lesson the hard way. i now own a japanese p-bass special and would'nt up-grade(could'nt)it does all that i need and then some.:D