Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

upgrade cabinet options/opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KB, Feb 12, 2002.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I am currently looking to upgrade my speaker cabs to some higher end cabs. I currently have a Carvin R600 head (I currently play in fullrange mode of the biamp, but it does have bridge mode with a 4ohm load min, so probably 2 8ohm cabs together would be my best bet)...with the Carvin 1x15 and 2x10 cabinets but I want some cabinets with a little more effeciency and tighter/growlier sound. I play an eccelctic mix of music (funk, jazz, rock along lthe lines of Presidents of USA/Ween/RHCP and others...alll original music)and the bass sound is very up front in my band (I even carry a lot of lead melodies so I need definition and more than just fat SVT sounding thump). I mostly play fingerstyle, but I do tap and slap some and have occassional pick usage. I want some very versitile cabs and I know that I either want a mixture of 10s and 15s or some 12s (I like the deeper meaty sound from bigger speakers combinted with the definition of 10s). I typically don't play through the PA (except at very large gigs) so I need good projection and definition.
    It is very important to me that the rig is easily transportable (...no 4x10s...too heavy).
    It is hard for me to test these various combinations (especially Aguilar) as there are not too many of them around to test.
    Right now the main options I am considering are:

1. Eden D210xlt & D115xlt
    2. SWR 2x10 and 1x15
    3. 2 Aquilar 1x12s (the new one)

I think from reading other reviews, etc. that the Eden or the Aguilar are probably my top choices, but I wanted to get peoples opinions of the sound from these 3 setups. I like a fairly modern sound but I wonder if the SWR would be too modern hi-fi sounding. I don't want this to turn into a SWR vs. Eden war or anything. Also does anyone have any experience with the Aguilar 1x12?

-KB

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I can't speak for the other combinations, but have you checked out the Aguilar 4x10? I recently got one and am super happy with it.

3. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    FWIW, the new issue of BassPlayer gives the Aguilar 1x12 a pretty good review. I'd say let your ears buy your next cab! :D

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I would highly recommend the new Aguilar 2x12 cab. It is getting rave reviews. The cabinet has a huge frequency response(38-16khz!). The 2x12's will probably sound deeper than a 1x15", but will give you more defined midrange as well. I was thinking about buying 2 of the 1x12 cabs, but I found out it is cheaper and easier to get the 2x12. Aguilar claims it to be the most versatile cab they have made yet(I spoke to them about it).

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I don't see the 2x12 on Aguilars site and I would also think that the weight would be too much. I am a smaller player (5'8") so I need to be able to move cabs by myself.
    How would you descibe the Ag sound?

-KB

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    It does weigh a bit, but it is not as bad as a 4x10". I don't think you would have a problem with it. Aguilar has not yet updated the site yet. It should be on it soon. I would describe the sound as very warm and full sounding, but with exceptional clarity. It is truly remarkable. That's why I am buying it! It can handle around 600 watts RMS, without getting muddy. I don't think you could go wrong....however, if you are looking for versatility such as using maybe just a 1x12" for small gigs, and than the 2 of them together for bigger shows, you may want to get 2 cabs.

Oh ya!...the 2x12" comes in 4 or 8ohm configs. This way you can maximize your available power.

7. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I am also wondering about the Eden 212xlt (4ohm)as a possible forth cab setup. Does it come with casters? anyone know how it sounds (does anyone own one).

I've been so used to the 2x10, 1x15 setup for a long time, but the 2x12 seems appealing (plus allows me to only carry 1 cab). Anu further opinions?

are 2x12s punchy enough?

-KB

8. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC

Hey KB-

What do you mean by "the new one". Did they upgrade these cabs recently? I just bought one and I want to make sure I didn't buy it right before a better one comes out.

9. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I thought the Ag 1x12s were new, but actually it seems like the 2x12 is what is new.
    the Ag 1x12 got a good review in bassplayer.
    any opinions on getting 2 8ohm 1x12s vs. 1 4ohm 2x12?

Still looking for opinions on the options above including various 2x12s. I have definately decided I don't like the sound of 10s alone (not enough beef for me), but I still want punch and definition. So I think I am leaning towards the Eden 212xlt or the Aguliar 2x12 (if I can find one).

-KB

10. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I personally would rather have 2 1x12's rather than 1 2x12. It really depends on your playing situations. I do a fair amount of smaller gigs where 1 1x12 is good enough- its nice to have the option of bringing 1 if I want. If you play mostly in loud rock bands 1 1x12 probably won't do and it would be easier just to lug 1 2x12 around. I agree about 10's vs. 12's. I think 12's have a nice balance of punch and depth although their are so many exceptions that I think this has as much to do with cabinet and speaker design as it does with driver size.

11. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Yeah I do play in more of a "rock" situation, so I guess the 2x12 would be best for me (unless I just upgraded my 2x10, 1x15 stack). But my main goal is to just have minimal stuff to haul around.

-KB

12. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Just a shot here, but have you checked out the new Hartke 2X12 cabinet. It's the new 2200. Sam Ash has them for $569.99.

13. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I am not a real fan of the Hartke sound, plus I'm not sure it would be a real improvement over my Carvin stack. I am still deciding what or if to upgrade at this time, but if I do I think I do want some of the higher end gear.

-KB