Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrade Carvin MM/J style pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jeff schmidt, Sep 14, 2004.

1. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    So my Carvin LB75 used to sound good - i thought - until I got my MTD535 and PentaBuzz basses (both have barts). Now the Carvin sounds . . . :spit:

What kinda of pick ups can I throw in this thing so it can stand next to my high dollar basses. I have it strung Tenor - A,D,G,C,F

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I like the Bill Lawrence J-45L in the neck position of my Carvins. It's a nice balanced pickup with full range response at a fair price. The only drag is the delay in getting them made.

Some manufacturers may have an MM style pickup that fits the Carvin rout, but I haven't had any luck finding one. The standard MM 5-string pups are a rectangular design with the mounting screws inside the rectangle.

3. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Hmmm . . . I thought the MM design was the fact that the screws are outside the main pup? Other wise they'd be some kinda soapbar pup.

Am I mistaken about this?

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Only on the FOUR string MM's. The MM5's are rectangle only.