Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrade electronics in an Ibanez sr 885?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ransomm, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Ransomm

Ransomm

Jul 3, 2002
    I have an Ibanez sr885 that has stock electronics (active 9v Ibanez system). I play most often on my church worship team and we play contemporary pop/rock style. What recommendations do you in upgrading the electronics? 9v vs. 18v? Basslines? Barts? EMG?

Help me out.

thanks,

PJ

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    A set of good pups will cost over $100...a good preamp, such as a U-Retro is $250. Not sure it is worth sinking that much money into an Ibanez, unless you are really really happy with the neck/feel/action/etc.

3. Ibanez makes good basses, but crappy pickups.

if you exchange them with some bartolini's, your sound will improve a lot. if you replace the preamp too, it will improve even more.

if it's a 4-knob cavity, you could for example put the pickups in serial, and then pop in a 3-band eq stingray preamp ( Seymour Duncan sells them )

4. Ransomm

Ransomm

Jul 3, 2002
    ADX,

What is the big diff between 9 volt and 18 volt systems?

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    18V systems will give you more headroom.

6. Ransomm

Ransomm

Jul 3, 2002
    Any difference in tone?

7. Tone wise, its comparable to playing through an amp with twice the wattage, but all else being the same. More headroom means that your signal has more 'room', i.e. not clipping as early. Slappers notice it a lot more, but there's really no reason not to have 18V if you can. At 27V, the difference isn't as noticable.

8. Ransomm

Ransomm

Jul 3, 2002
    Any more ideas?