Upgrade Fender Deluxe MIA Jazz V pick up to 18 volts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by finn74, Feb 3, 2003.

1. finn74

Nov 28, 2001
    I recently dicovered that you can upgrade EMG pickus to 18 volts with a simple procedure. Has anyone upgraded their new Noisless pickups in a MIA Jazz from 9 to 18 volts. :confused:
  2. The pickups are not the problem. The deciding factor is whether the chip in the preamp can handle an 18v 0v 18v swing. You will probably need to contact the service dept at Fender in order to determine that. Dont just do it, you may fry something.
  3. Marty's right on this. Fender pickups are passive. The battery is for the preamp, not the pickups.

I wouldn't go hooking it up to 18V until I found out two things; 1) Will it handle the 18V without frying; and 2) Would I gain anything with this particular preamp by powering it with 18V.

It's your bass of course. But, check first.
  4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    There is much writing about how this change does wonderful things for EMG preamps, but in general changing from a 9V supply to an 18V supply isn't going to change much. Even if it is possible to increase the supply voltage on your Fender, you will likely discover that it sounds exactly the same.

Again as was stated by the other responders, you MUST contact Fender first and determine whether or not the increased supply voltage is ok for their preamp. There are many preamp chips that are not capable of handling that supply voltage. Only the manufacturer can tell you what chips are in your bass.