Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrade for a Precision

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TyKao, Nov 25, 2004.

1. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    I have a P-bass copy that I've been thinking about upgrading. Funds are limited so I can only make one at a time. As a result, I was wondering which upgrade would go farther for making my p a more versatile bass:

active preamp or routing in a neck pickup?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    for what you are describing, total cost...

http://www.rondomusic.com/ has basses for very little money that some people on this site will testify are as good/better than mexican fenders. It may be cheaper this way.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    do you mean routing a bridge pickup, rather than neck?
    Putting in a bridge J will make your bass much more versatile, it that's what your looking for. Putting in an active preamp alone will give you more eq control, but you'll still have the same basic sound plus/minus bass/treble. Having a bridge J will let you go between crisp bridge fingerstyle and the classic P sound.
    So it's down to what you want to do, make your bass more versatile or have eq control?

And as Mike says, you're probably going to be hitting over $200 for these upgrades. So, it might not be worth it in your current bass (which we don't know what it is, so it's hard to make that call)

4. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    Sorry. I meant a J or a soapbar on the bridge.

So $200 is the usual cost for that? Being that my Washburn cost that much when I got it new, it doesn't sound like a great investment.

Do you guys feel getting a bridge pickup installed would be more cost effective on something like a regular American Fender Precision? I was thinking of getting one because I like the 1 5/8" nut width and the general feel of the MIAs that I've tried.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Instead of getting a MIA P and adding a bridge pickup, look for a nice used MIA Hot Rodded P Bass...the J bridge comes standard...no worries about someone messing up your bass and it will retain its resale value.

Have you considered having someone add a series/parallel switch on your existing pickup? The standard configuration is series...in parallel there are more highs.

It's cheap and will give you more tonal variation. If the installer uses a push-pull switched pot and replaced the volume or tone (I'd recommend the tone control so the switch is more out of the way) the mod would be invisible if you decided you didn't like it.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

To me the primary aspect of the bass iteself is feel: weight, balance, comfort, and playability. Next acoustic tone of the bass. If I REALLY liked these aspects of the bass I had, I'd probably route. Even another "identical" bass (same make/model) will likely have a different tone and it vary well could be WAY different. It will probably feel close enough to pass but you may have to go through 12 or more of the same basses to get the same tone. And the acoustic tone will have enough affect on the amplified tone of the bass to make a significant difference.

If the feel of the bass is not something you're impressed with, I get rid of the bass regardless of the tone it put out. If I liked the feel but not the tone, I go for a PJ version of the same bass if they make it or a different bass of similar design.

7. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004