1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upgrade for MIA Pbass Stock Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Aeroprof, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Aeroprof

Aeroprof

Nov 27, 2008
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I searched the stickies and didn't find any recent input....

I just purchased a new 2010 MIA Pbass. The stock pickup seems OK to me; just really wondering if it's worth upgrading it to one of the Fender Original '62 pickups? Your thoughts?

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the american standard pickups are all "decent", but upgrading mine (with a fralin P pickup) was the best thing i ever did for it.

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i actually prefer the AV RI '62 over the fralin, but the duncan SPB1 is by far my favorite if you're going for a true vintage p bass tone.

4. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    all three are winners, and will be more authentic than the stock pickup.

stock american standard pickups (all of them, not just the basses) use molded plastic bobbins which insulate the windings from the magnets, placing the coil wire a little further away from the polepieces.

traditional fender-style pickup makers just put fiber plates on the tops and bottoms of the magnets and then wind the wire right on them, meaning the coil wire is right against the poles, separated only by the wire's own insulation.

while this isn't the only, or even the key factor in a pickup's tone, it is a factor.

5. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you play rock, you may end up preferring the extra punchy stock pickup, but trying one of the many great true 60's style pickups is an interesting and not terribly expensive thing to do. I like the Duncan Antiquity.

6. It's great to read this post, because this is an issue I've considered constantly since I bought my 2010 MIA 'P' in July.

I haven't heard any of the Lindy Fralin, SD or AM '62 pups (and won't get a chance to before I buy).

Walter: did you get the stock winding, or over-wind?

What difference does it make in sound from the original factory pups, please?

I'm not that struck on the 'twangy', high notes (or really the sound of any notes on my 'D' & 'G' strings (La Bella F/S Flats), and am I right in thinking that if I commission an 'over-wind', I'll lose some of this high-end treble and gain mids and low-end, which would be fantastic?

7. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the stock fralin wind has plenty of everything; roll your tone knob back a pinch with those flats and you'll be right there.

8. What difference does it make in sound from the original factory pups, please?

Am I right in thinking that if I commission an 'over-wind', I'll lose even more of the 'sharp', shrill, high-end treble on my 'D' & 'G' strings and gain low-mids, low-end punch and deeper stronger bass?

9. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Myself I preferred the sound of the 70's american fender P with Dimarzio P pup replacement. Still one of my fave P pups.

10. ........

11. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    That pretty much defines an SD SPB2.