Upgrade from Ampeg BA108

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by marh415, Nov 12, 2016.

1. marh415

marh415

Nov 30, 2013
    RI
    I have an Ampeg BA108 that I've been using since I started playing almost 3 years ago. Although it has suited my needs quite well, I'm longing for something with a more tonal options and grit if I needed it.

I really like the G&K MB110 after watching and reading the reviews online. Would this be a good upgrade to my current combo? I don't play in a band currently, so this amp wouldn't leave my home.

2. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I'm not an Ampeg guy, although I own both the BA108 and a PF500, but if you are happy with the tone, I'd look into a bigger rig from them.

Ampeg is the definition of bass grind, and any of their products that has a gain control will give you all that you want.

marh415 likes this.
  3. brbadg

brbadg

Nov 10, 2006
    Timonium,Maryland
    Looks like that would be a lateral move rather than an upgrade , from the looks of it.

marh415 likes this.
  4. Thummel

Thummel

Jun 24, 2007
    West Texas
    none
    Go with the GK mb 212II, nice little amp for practice at the house but also enough power to play low and medium volume gigs. Swiss army knife approach. If you just want a little amp for the house only just keep the ba108.

marh415 likes this.
  5. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    Agree that a 1x10 budget combo isnt much of an upgrade. What are your goals with this new kit? Play out? Jam with friends? Shake the neighborhood? Or sound famous in your bedroom? Funny you pick gk cuz many of their products are voiced on the opposite of the tone spectrum from a lot of ampeg gear.

marh415 likes this.
  6. marh415

marh415

Nov 30, 2013
    RI
    To be honest, I'm looking for something with a warm vintage tone not too unlike Ampeg. I'm currently reviving a 70's Fender P bass and wanted to upgrade to something that would bring out that classic P tone better than my 25 watt practice amp. I was also considering the Ampeg Micro VR as well, but I am always open to hear others opinions. Playing in a band is not totally out of the question either, just not in the immediate future.

7. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    I vote for keeping the 108 and getting a new (to you) rehearsal / small gig rig. The 108 can live happily in a closet on reserve. It will fire right back up once you get into a group and move your new rig there.

You can put yourself together a modular rig, a little at a time. A good later model micro head in the 300w/4 range used shouldn't be much more than a new barely-upgrade combo. It will have a better tone through good headphones for a while until you find a good 8 ohm 112, 210, or 115 cab you like. Then later on if you need some more volume, pick up a second of that cab.

An approach like this is my advice. You already have a pretty nice little practice amp. If it isn't broken, your money may be better spent on a different level of gear.

@JimmyM
    As a final thought, I do remember seeing at least one thread on here talking about a reasonable performance upgrade to the 108 with a speaker swap. See that thread for more details. Might save time and money trying that.

marh415 and deathness like this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I do have an Alpha 8a in my BA108, only because I blew the speaker cranking the amp hard and turning on an MXR Bass Distortion set to stun :D It takes more power now and sounds a little bit better, but I don't know that I'd call it a "performance upgrade." Now the Micro VR I'd definitely call a performance upgrade, although I might consider getting the PF350 instead of the Micro VR head. I love the Micro VR, but the PF350 sounds the same but has a little more ass on it.

Basically Bob, marh415 and AstroSonic like this.
  9. Ironbar

Ironbar Inactive

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    My vote would go to the TC Electronic BG-250 115 or 210. I have the 115 combo amp that I got on a deal through GC for $250.00. It had some scratches on the tolex which I didn't care about. Essentially a brand new amp. It serves me quite well, and sounds great with all my basses.

marh415 likes this.
  10. marh415

marh415

Nov 30, 2013
    RI
    I was checking out the 350 last night, it does seem quite nice for $299.

JimmyM likes this.
  11. marh415

marh415

Nov 30, 2013
    RI
    I have heard good thinks about TC as well, I will definitely look into them some more, thanks!

12. marh415

marh415

Nov 30, 2013
    RI
    Aside from the Ampeg VR and cab, I really like the G&K MB200 head. My question is the choice of cab. The MBP seems like the obvious choice, but don't they supply their own power too? I don't need more output than the what the head already supplies for my needs. I'm trying to keep my budget in the $600 range for head and cab combo. Any other cabs out there worth taking a look at?

13. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    If you're set on a new cab, you might want to Chop Shop Amps, proprietated by TB's own @basscooker, and his S12B which starts at a cool $275 and comes standard with several aesthetic custom options. I haven't played one but they've reviewed well on here. Going used will get you more bang for the buck. Check the classifieds here to see what's on offer, I generally see better pricing here on quality kit than my local cl and, of course, sites like reverb, gc, and musicgoround (though deals do pop up there, too).

marh415 likes this.
  14. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    As soon as you say warm vintage Fender Precision bass tone, you're saying Fender and ampeg in the same breath. Just go to your local music store and A/B a Fender Rumble 200 and an ampeg BA115 V2. They are direct competitors and have been going at each other tooth and nail since Leo Fender invented his Precision bass in 1951. The Fender Rumble 200 is my personal pick for jams; parties, and bar gigs. It also has some features the BA115 doesn't. The BA is cheaper. Take your time and listen carefully. Choose wisely.

AstroSonic and marh415 like this.
  15. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I agree with everyone else. Save your money and put it towards a real upgrade.

16. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Wantage, New Jersey
    The Fender Rumble combo series sound great. I played through a Rumble 100 watt combo and it was really nice.

Nothing wrong with Ampeg neither.