Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

upgrade my rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gilbert46, Apr 26, 2005.

1. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    ive currently got a hartke 410bx (240 watts) and a genz benz 15 (lotso watts) powered by a behringer 300 watt head. At performance volume the bottom end cuts out. Im 99% sure its the 410 being overpowered.

I plan on going with a pre/power amp this summer so big power handling is a plus.

I'd love some imput on my options

Since I know someone is going to ask ;) I play in a loud rock band as well as my own mellow stuff. I play a 4 and 5 string, so low B is a consideration, but not terribly important to me. I always play the 4 with the rock group, and i need to keep up with 2 212 combos and drums in places ranging from bars to churches.

1 I found a Genz Benz 410 Cab for $300 to go with my 15.
    2 Find a Ampeg 810 and bite the bullet and sell both my cabs. there are a few selling locally around the $400 mark.
    3 other?

Im leaning towards the ampeg 810 but Im not sure its the better choice. I understand that size doesnt mean volume or quality. Can someone chime in with some tasty bits of knowledge?

2. If portability isn't an issue, an 8*10 would be great, but I would never buy it, not realy convenient.
    As for a Head, I'm a big fan of EBS and Eden, I play in a rock band myself with a EBS Fafner and 410 cab.

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I wouldn't be so sure about your 410 being overpowered. Even if you're pumping out the Behringer's entire 300 watts, that cab should take closer to twice the wattage that it's rated at. Cabs are generally rated by RMS power... that is, the average amount of power that they should be expected to handle over their lifetimes. So, if you were able to pump out a truly constant signal at 240 watts, you'd be at the cab's theoretical limit. However, bass-playing is inherently non-constant, since your signal spikes when you attack the string and then dies rapidly as the string oscillation dampens naturally. In general, cabs are expected to take close to twice as big a spike as their RMS power would indicate, and there's no way that your Behringer can come close to that value. I think your low end is dying out because you're overdriving your amp, and it's sending a clipped signal to your 410. I don't know what the power limits are of the two cabs you mentioned, but keep it in mind when you know what your pre/power setup will look like. If you get a big power amp, you may need to replace the 410 due to real overpowering!

4. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    so that means i HAVE to replace both ;)

so here is a stupid question, does the DDT come on when the cab is overextending itself or the head is running too hard?

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Sorry, I'm sure I'm overlooking the obvious here, but what is the DDT?

If you're asking about any type of clipping indicator LED on your head, it means that your head has reached it's maximum output and has chopped your signal to compensate. This isn't hurting your head any, as it's designed to accomodate these conditions. However, sending a clipped signal like this to your cab will damage your speakers.

6. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    sorry thats what i was talking about. I appreciate the help and think i might actuallly have been steered in the right direction - power amp/pre